bad dive off playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We were to dive the second day of our trip in March 09. The waves were large and the divemaster said on the way out, "I don't know why they did not close the harbor today". WE got to the dive site and the divemaster told us all to roll in and head straight to the bottom because of the waves. I am a fairly new diver though I had dove the ocean most of my dives now but I can not clear my ears right away and it takes me a couple of minutes to do so. Right after I rolled off the boat, I hit my head on the bottom of the darned thing, once I started to decend I could not see more than 5-7 feet in front of me because of the churning of the ocean. Finally I saw my buddy, we decended to 15 feet and of course my ears would not clear. Everyone else in the group was on their way down to depth of 95 feet. This was to be my deepest dive yet. Once I finally got to depth, the current was really strong and it was everything I could do just to stay with the group. After 12 minutes, I looked at my gauage and only had 700 lbs of air left. Needless to say, ran out of air and had to buddy breathe the whole way up. Luckily I had a really good instructor during my dive training and I remembered all my skills! So did this slow me down from diving? Nope, dove the Cenotes the very next day!!! If you have never dove cenotes, it is one of the coolest things in the world. Next to diving the ship off Cozumel and seeing your first sting ray swim right next to you for over 5 minutes.

So what lesson did you learn from this experience? There are some so hopefully you took them away with you.

I think one lesson he learned was that at 90' he needs to watch his air much more than if he was at 30' since he did run out of air. Bubble Watcher, remember Darwin is always after you.

Scary deal. This dive sounded doomed from the start. Its fortunate that you were able to keep your head together, make it to the surface, and hopefully learn a valuble lesson. Thanks for sharing you experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom