Back issues or bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Historically I have had back issues, I was on a trip a couple of years ago and back was sore and the boat rides rough. I did 2 60 minutes dives with max depth of 60 feet. After lunch that day I couldn’t stand up straight, took some time to loosen up. If I took a hot shower it was totally fine until it tightened again. I got better over the next couple days with rest and walking. I assume it was my back but recently wondered if I was bent. The dove profiles and fact hot water losses me up I figured not. Thoughts?

It is highly unlikely you were bent. The fact that it got better as you describe is what makes it unlikely. If you were bent badly enough to be bent over like that (that's where the word "bent" comes from), you would not have recovered, even temporarily, with a hot shower.

Just a thought but how was your trim. Any chance you were head heavy and overarching your back?

Just a thought but how was your trim. Any chance you were head heavy and overarching your back?
I tend to arch my back at times, but did have a herniated disk I am thankfully healed from currently. Trim can always use work for me.

Had this same issue, you seriously need to look at trim.

Was diving a non-integrated BCD, with all the weight (2x4#, 4x3#) in a pocket-type belt.

Have had lower back issues since my late 20's, and then a sciatica issue with left leg in my late 60's.

Dive Op owner and I talked, and he had similar prior issues.

I acquired two pockets to attach to the tank belt, where I placed one, each, of the 3# weights, leaving just 2x4# and 2x3# in the belt (closest to the latch pockets at that, to moving them closer to center of gravity).

What a wonderful solution!

Accomplished two things: First, moved the weight off my lower back; and Second, changed my trim to put me more level on the water column.

I'm not a doctor or medical expert, but back issues seems by far the most likely.

While I don't have a history of back issues, I have had a sore-back several times due to Scuba activities which thankfully goes away in 1-2 days. I believe it was primarily caused by carrying 30+lbs of metal up and down a boat ladder, as the boat was being rocket by waves, which creates a lot of twisting force.

These days, I'm extra careful to either unclip tanks (sidemount), and carry them up separately, or not climb boat-ladders when there are waves. I also take care to monitor my posture (especially any twisting) any time I have that weight on me and I'm above water, including when climbing a boat ladder, donning equipment, walking with equipment, carrying scuba-tanks, or even doing a long-stride into the water.

I have considered wearing a back-brace during scuba-activities. They may not be designed for SCUBA and getting wet, but they're fairly inexpensive. If back problems became more of an issue for me, I would.

I cannot comment what happened but I also had some back issues when I started tech diving, after a dive I was feeling the pain and restriction on moving. I started doing 45 degree hip extensions and within few months pain disappeared, yet I started diving with heavier equipment (JJ) but no issues. I highly recommend this to anyone who is having lower back problems.

9D8AE29B-C1EE-4978-A47D-5DF5CAB8A37C.jpeg

Historically I have had back issues, I was on a trip a couple of years ago and back was sore and the boat rides rough. I did 2 60 minutes dives with max depth of 60 feet. After lunch that day I couldn’t stand up straight, took some time to loosen up. If I took a hot shower it was totally fine until it tightened again. I got better over the next couple days with rest and walking. I assume it was my back but recently wondered if I was bent. The dove profiles and fact hot water losses me up I figured not. Thoughts?
Concur with the other posters in that isolated back pain that improves quickly on its own is unlikely to be decompression sickness. Some imaging of your back might be helpful, along with a physical therapy consult. If you're still concerned about the possibility of DCS, you might consider consulting with a physician who specializes in evaluating divers. DM me if you need contact info for one in Denver.

Best regards,
DDM

I have back issues too and it doesn't take much to bring on spasms, muscle pain and/or stiffness. The boat ride may have caused the problems in your case but the back didn't stiffen up noticeably until you stopped for lunch. That type of scenario happens to me.

First thought.... let your dive buddy and/or boat crew know in advance that you have historic back issues, for the exact same reason that you have doubts about whether you had DCS, in order to help evaluate if you are, in fact, experiencing DCS or not.

Back
Top Bottom