Bad Hair Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On page 55 (upper left) of the August 2008 Sport Diver Magazine is a picture of a young lady inside a wreck. The article is on Wreck Diving in Bermuda and it is one of many photos. I would post it here, but am sure it is copyrighted. The thing that caught my attention was her long hair. At 18" - 24" or so in length and floating well over her head it looks like one heck of an entanglement hazard inside a wreck and I have to ask if long hair (male or female) has ever caused an underwater entanglement or safety issue?

Are there any guidelines or general rules for handling this?

My wife's hair is also about 24 " long and she always tie it up in a bun to ensure it doesn't get tangled up with her regulator.It also stops her hair from obscuring her view when she dives.
I can only imagine the drama which will unfold when your hair gets caught onto some cable or piece of steel while being inside a wreck! Especially when you have penetrated deep into a wreck.

Also hair keep up can the critters from an enticing and painful false feeding fury.

My hair is just above my waist. It has caused a couple of problems for me. It got caught and really wedged into a piece of "siding" in the interior of a virgin wreck. I had to cut about 4" of my hair to get free. Another time it got so wrapped up in my inflator hose/valve that I had a difficult time venting during ascent.

NO, I did not cut my hair. I now wear it in a ponytail whenever diving and this has sorted it out for me.

I braid my hair, then wear a neoprene skull cap. Then I tuck it down my wetsuit. Diving dry, I do the same, but the hood keeps it flush. My only issue before I started tucking it was getting it stuck on my isolator-no kidding- my buddy almost drowned laughing because it wrapped and knotted itself, he had to untie it. Oh, and a side bar to this-if you have long hair, the best detangler I have found is by Biolage, expensive, but I carry it on the boat, no more knots from the salt water.
-J

On page 55 (upper left) of the August 2008 Sport Diver Magazine is a picture of a young lady inside a wreck. The article is on Wreck Diving in Bermuda and it is one of many photos. I would post it here, but am sure it is copyrighted. The thing that caught my attention was her long hair. At 18" - 24" or so in length and floating well over her head it looks like one heck of an entanglement hazard inside a wreck and I have to ask if long hair (male or female) has ever caused an underwater entanglement or safety issue?

Are there any guidelines or general rules for handling this?

Waist length hair. I braid it whenever I do anything active (including diving). Never had a problem with entanglement when its been braided.

Ditto on the waist length hair. I put it up in a barrette and wear a hood or Dee-Rag. When I braided and wore it out, it freaked me out a couple times. This RED fish swam in front of my eyes, it was the end of my braid. Besides, it is much easier to comb out. Also be aware that if you do the braids with beads, fish will nibble at them.

Yes, the hair flowing underwater is sexy (think Ariel), but it ain't practical.

Back
Top Bottom