Bad hips and split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptAl

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've read all the pros and cons associated with split fins on this board but most of the discussion seems to revolve around the topics of speed and maneuverability. Granted these are both very important issues, but I'd like to throw out another question for you split fin advocates.
I have bad hips and as a result I have to work harder to keep up with others. Harder work results in more air consumption. More air consumption results in less bottom time. Less bottom time sucks! And, as an added bonus, I usually end up fatigued and in considerable discomfort at the end of a day of diving. I'm under the impression that a good pair (Apollo or Aquatics) of split fins will help, not eliminate, these problems. Opinions please.

I had some knee troubles and found that the split fins helped eliminate stress on the joint. Perhaps it will have the same effect on your hip. I've since switched to regular fins now that my knee is in better shape, but it's worth a shot. Any reputable LDS should let you try a pair in the pool. The downside is not being able to do a frog kick very effectively.

Hi

Split fins are designed for a flutter kick, which in time honoured fashion is conducted by kicking from the hips with slightly bent knees forcing the energy downwards (inefficient)and ruining the vis for anyone following you or in the same vicinity (sorry, a little facetious)

If you use those nice heavy jetfins then you could use a frogkick, conducted from a horizontal position, directing the energy behind you (more efficient) and also using very little hip and more ankle and lower leg. Just visit www.fifthd.com and watch the video in the classroom section. Very little hip work.

If you have bad hips then the very worst kick to do is the flutter kick. The more efficient kick in terms of energy and speed is the frog kick and it will be easier on your hips. It is even more effective when coupled with a less bulky BC system such as a backplate and wing which will streamline you in the water and it will be your buddies telling you to slow down rather than you keeping up !!

Hope that helps

WL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom