Bad Image for Spearfishermen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have met Louis a number of times and while he may be an in your face kinda guy, I believe the local title is "Coonass", isn't as bad as you think. He is however caught up in the idea of demonstrating his own "superiority" over other animals as are all catch and release fisherman, he just doesn't release. Further, from my own experience with Rok and other cajun divers, everything gets eaten by someone. I personally love barracuda which many people don't care for and call trash fish.

I do not share his beliefs and attitudes about marine animals or hunting ethics, just trying to paint the whole picture. They also don't shoot sharks anymore, just like the hell divers were the first organized group of people to stop hunting Goliaths, well before it was a law. (FYI it was Jacques Cousteau who taught them how many years ago, to stone a "jewfish") As in those are old pictures taken back in the olden days.

The talk of banning spearfishing is not given serious thought here in the gulf FYI, even with people waving those pictures at council meetings and implying plenty from them, simply because there are spearos there who speak up for the sport, finally. We will not be thrown under the bus again.

Further, I can say with absolute confidence that Rok is a controversial poster on spearboard and comes under frequent fire for his attitudes. While that may not have been the case in the earlier days of that site, it is certainly true now. His place on the red snapper committee does not give him any ability to promulgate regs. Only to review the data driving the regs.

Just curious, how many hunters here have ever gone to a regulatory meeting?

I can't stand trophy hunters, period.

Craig

I think "Trophy" is too narrow of a definition. Most hunters I know and hunt with love to hunt. Most of them are looking for the best animal they can find if it's a Trophy animal.

However this does not make them "Trophy Hunters" because there is a LOT more too it in their attitude towards the environment, the regulations, the animal, the kill, and the use of the animal once harvested. No one I know kills animals illegally. No one I knows kills an animal ONLY for the trophy. No one I knows takes wild shots or unreasonable shots that they think may result in wounding. Know one I know kills just for the sake of killing. Most of us agree that the Kill, while exciting, is the least enjoyable part. This is big game, but I think the attitudes and mindset applies.

I'm going to do my first speer fishing this summer. I'm looking forward to it! I've fished my entire life, and I hunt big game, and some birds..... but I've never used one of them there speer chucker sling things!

He was being painted as worse than he is (as a criminal), which certainly doesn't therefore make us look better. I did say I don't share his views, but also brought more info to the table and simply explained that those photos weren't of present activity, which his site doesn't make clear. Please don't paint me as in his camp, its not how I hunt or run my business.

The only spot I really care to take up for him, is that he cares enough about the fishery to volunteer his time for an unpaid spot on an advisory panel. Not very many people who use the resource have that level of dedication, regardless of their politics.

Hi James,

The 260-pound jewfish (goliath grouper) pictured on his site, last count, that fish is still a Federally protected species.

Can't you report that to the FWC and send them a link?

It wouldn't take a lot of investigating for them to go look at his website.

Terry

I think "Trophy" is too narrow of a definition. Most hunters I know and hunt with love to hunt. Most of them are looking for the best animal they can find if it's a Trophy animal.

However this does not make them "Trophy Hunters" because there is a LOT more too it in their attitude towards the environment, the regulations, the animal, the kill, and the use of the animal once harvested. No one I know kills animals illegally. No one I knows kills an animal ONLY for the trophy. No one I knows takes wild shots or unreasonable shots that they think may result in wounding. Know one I know kills just for the sake of killing. Most of us agree that the Kill, while exciting, is the least enjoyable part. This is big game, but I think the attitudes and mindset applies.

I'm going to do my first speer fishing this summer. I'm looking forward to it! I've fished my entire life, and I hunt big game, and some birds..... but I've never used one of them there speer chucker sling things!

Let me narrow it, "Trophy" meaning just to kill with no intention of usage. Personally, I prefer my fish at the lower range of the legal limit. Not because that is all I see, more along the lines of "better" for my needs. I have had the opportunity to take large grouper, but prefer them in the 10 to 20 lb range and have passed on sure kill shots for that reason. Hogfish as well. I'm not nocking those that take bigger fish, unless it is to just satisfy a "macho" mentality. Just a personal choice.

Craig

Can't you report that to the FWC and send them a link?

It wouldn't take a lot of investigating for them to go look at his website.

Terry

Terry he is in Louisiana not Florida.

his philosophy on killing tarpon, stingrays, etc..

"I wasn't going to waste my time with this stupid thread where some eco asks a stupid question but Kirby hit the nail on the head.

Don't you think it would be stupid to just target the one fish you like to eat, that would only deplete that species. If you target everything, everything will replenish.

What do you think these so-called non edible species eat? They eat the edibles.

Learn some stuardship of your environment before you start making some kind of self rightous judgement against others."

The Gulf Council, NMFS and the FWC all have seen the link as it was one of them that forwarded it to me.
The photos of the dead sand tigers and jewfish are probably old and taken when it was still legal to kill them by any method. However, most people learn as they get older and we see resources declining. This guy just does not learn and still thinks it is cool to kill everything for the hell of it.
It is a public resource and this guy has no problem ****ting all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom