Bag Drag Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefhound I bet that sucked. I could imagine sitting on that bus not being sure if you will make it or not. I have been lucky so far. My next trip I fly out at 1PM on a week day so hopefully traffic won't be to bad.
Can you get traffic reports in that area? Looking at a map there is a log way around if you head west out of Playa. I doubt that is a viable option for a cab or private shuttle, anyone know? I guess the best option would be to grab a 6 pack just in case and make the best of it.

I had thought about one way into Cancun and back out via Cozumel but the price was way to high.
Sounds like I may have to leave Cozumel a bit earlier and have a back up plan for a hotel if we miss our flight.
$30 for a taxi from PDC back to airport sounds good if one can get it.
Of course this would require not making reservations ahead of time on the bus.
Mayair may have a flight that works for you. CZM-CUN in 20 minutes.

Reefhound I bet that sucked. I could imagine sitting on that bus not being sure if you will make it or not. I have been lucky so far. My next trip I fly out at 1PM on a week day so hopefully traffic won't be to bad.
Can you get traffic reports in that area? Looking at a map there is a log way around if you head west out of Playa. I doubt that is a viable option for a cab or private shuttle, anyone know? I guess the best option would be to grab a 6 pack just in case and make the best of it.

Loooonng way.
You're right, not really an option unless the highway were washed out.

Loooonng way.
You're right, not really an option unless the highway were washed out.
I believe that was the multiple hour detour last year when a sinkhole took out Hiway 307 South of Puerta Morelas. I was amazed at how fast they repaired the damage and had the route back up again though.

I believe that was the multiple hour detour last year when a sinkhole took out Hiway 307 South of Puerta Morelas. I was amazed at how fast they repaired the damage and had the route back up again though.

Yes.
I was amazed as well. When I saw the pictures, I was thinking a month at least. Turned out to be days.

There is no reasonable alternate route. If the highway is blocked, a taxi will not do you any better than a bus. Maybe save you a few minutes by not having to make the rounds at other terminals before yours. There were plenty of taxis and shuttles inching along beside us.

Oh, I knew pretty quickly we weren't making it. Google maps showed where the accident was and the blood red traffic stretching about 7 miles. When we covered two miles in almost an hour, I did the math. Of course, you may have to pay for roaming data. Might be better to just book an early am flight out and stay in a cancun hotel by the bus station.

I would take the island air option except for baggage limitations. 40 lbs allowed with $5/lb over, and carryon capped at 11 lbs and fits under seat. Not feasible for most divers that bring their own gear.

I wish Mayair would work for us, but my first bag is always at 50lbs and the second bag with extra goodies for everyone is 45lb+. Heck the last trip down I may have brought more stuff than Dandy Don.

Not sure what your timing is but someone posted today on the Coz FB page that construction on the hwy caused a 2 hour bus trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom