bags and knives for class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just making converstation - I signed up for a Deep diving course (SSI) and I'm reading the list of mandatory and suggested equipment and have a few random questions. I will talk to the instructor of course, but I wanted to also hear what you thought.

Suggested
Backup knife . Is the backup knife in case you lose the first one? So if I like my primary knife, I should just get another of the same thing?

Lift bag (50 lbs minimum). What am I going to do with a 50 lb lift bag? Surely not lift things in a Deep course? I have a 35 lb Carter that works fine for creating an up line. Will they give me a hard time about it?

Pony bottle w/reg

Mandatory
Game bag - really?
backup depth gauge - this is just a recreational deep course - no deco - go down, dial the combination lock, and back up -so isn't a backup depth gauge overkill?

If we need all this, shouldn't we also need a backup mask?

Back up knife is just a good idea anyway. Preferably a small one that can cut mono or even a pair of shears would work better.
If you talked to the instructor what did he say? 50 lb bag may be in case your bc would fail. Unlikely hopefully but will 35 lbs of lift get you up. If so then No reason why it should not be ok.

Pony bottle is also a good idea but if you don't want to spend the bucks now rent one or borrow.

As far as the mandatory equip the game bag is a puzzler unless you guys are planning on bringing back dinner. Back up depth guage is a very good idea. I would think this is just good planning. redundacy for some items is mandatory for me. Depth, time, cutting tool, slate, etc. How deep are you going? Any dive in the 100ft range is more than just routine for most people who have not been there. I don't know how your instructor teaches the course or what SSi's standards are but in the PADI course the deep dive course is 4 dives. Each involves a different task, buoyancy control, narcosis effects on the individual, navigation, free ascent and descent, and planning along with setting up emergency breathing equipment.

Also if the instructor requires it why are you asking. If you think it's too much get another instructor. Personally I'd also require a back up depth AND timing device, if in the ocean a reel and smb in addition to the lift bag as a bag is not very tall. A primary and a back up light as it can get dark down deep, and a slate that would be used to record time in, pressure, max depth, time at safety stop(s), time out and ending pressure.

Back
Top Bottom