Bahama Mama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha,
Thanks for the tip on how to find the most info on here. All said and done how can I NOT go with GBS. I might fall prey to the gimmicky, expensive UNESCO Dolphin dive one day though...hey it's only money!
Thanks again everyone, I'm sure I will have plenty of other questions before April
:monkeydan

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

We used Caribbean Divers out of freeport. A smaller operation than Unexso but when they had twenty to thirty divers we had four one day three the next two and my and my wife for the next four. here is the link and if you book online i think they give you a 10% break

http://www.caribbeandivers-bahamas.com/
have fun and be prepared for everyone to offer you weed including the taxi drivers.

I use to go to Freeport/Lucaya for Christmas - UNESCO has a large facility in the center of town which draws alot of people (diver and non divers) right in front of the marina. There are about 5 activities that are listed for their "dolphin experiences" which I've done (pre-diving days) and yes, they were pricey but very much worth the $$ to a non diver to experience. Their staff was very friendly even to non divers letting us go out on the dive boats to snorkel. (a number of years ago not sure if they still do this now) the store was always full with customers and divers (of course this was Christmas too). I would also recommend going to the rain forest that is in the center of the island. Ask in town how to get there. We would rent scooters (always fun driving on the "other side of the road") Lots of tropical birds and a waterfall you can play behind.. Kinda cool! We always enjoyed touring the island although be careful of taxi drivers they seem to RULE the road!
As scubaaronh mentioned laws are very laxed and weed will be offered MORE then once!! just a fyi!!
Overall the food was good no fear for much although did use bottled water for brushing teeth (always on a safe side!!)

tx.lakerats:
I use to go to Freeport/Lucaya for Christmas - UNESCO has a large facility in the center of town which draws alot of people (diver and non divers) right in front of the marina. There are about 5 activities that are listed for their "dolphin experiences" which I've done (pre-diving days) and yes, they were pricey but very much worth the $$ to a non diver to experience. Their staff was very friendly even to non divers letting us go out on the dive boats to snorkel. (a number of years ago not sure if they still do this now) the store was always full with customers and divers (of course this was Christmas too). I would also recommend going to the rain forest that is in the center of the island. Ask in town how to get there. We would rent scooters (always fun driving on the "other side of the road") Lots of tropical birds and a waterfall you can play behind.. Kinda cool! We always enjoyed touring the island although be careful of taxi drivers they seem to RULE the road!
As scubaaronh mentioned laws are very laxed and weed will be offered MORE then once!! just a fyi!!
Overall the food was good no fear for much although did use bottled water for brushing teeth (always on a safe side!!)

The water is okay for drinking.
The "rain forest" mentioned would be the Garden of the Groves.
The Laws are not lax. Enforcement might be. Their drug laws are very harsh.

I agree the water was fine to drink there they sit on a huge fresh water aquifer. The laws on drugs are harsh but you get offered them everywhere it seems in the bars in taxis(which totally shocked me) walking down the streets. I think the only time we werent asked was when we were in a restaurant

RLosey:
Natasha,
Thanks for the tip on how to find the most info on here. All said and done how can I NOT go with GBS. I might fall prey to the gimmicky, expensive UNESCO Dolphin dive one day though...hey it's only money!
Thanks again everyone, I'm sure I will have plenty of other questions before April
:monkeydan

just try to dive with someone else unless you like cattle boats

I too was shocked by the amount of drug buying offers that we were asked... Ok the laws may be harsh but you wouldn't know it by how many times you're approached on the street!

Of course alot could have changed since I've been there as its been a couple of years now...

Back
Top Bottom