Bahamas – Abaco Island & Cays, Berry Islands, North Eleuthera : looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barbara_K

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I look for a place in the Bahamas for a 3-day weekend trip. Obviously, it should offer very good diving, but I mainly look for nearly deserted beaches, not too much tourist stuff, and peace & quiet. I know that many of the Outer Islands offer this, but that is too far for a weekend trip. I will fly by myself, so the place should have an airstrip.

Any hints regarding Abaco (Spanish Cay, Treasure Cay, Sandy Point), Castaway Cay, Berry Islands, or North Eleuthera? Grand Bahama and Bimini seem not to be an option.

Thanks a lot, every advice will be much appreciated.
Barbara

PS: Yes, I am aware of diving and flying. That's why I look for a nice environment, I want to enjoy it even when I can't dive the last day.

No divers here know anything about Abaco (Spanish Cay, Treasure Cay, Sandy Point), Castaway Cay, Berry Islands, or North Eleuthera ??? Come on, let me know. Please!!
And what about Andros Town? Anybody has experience with Small Hope hotel / dive center?
Don't be so lazy. Put your popcorn away and let me know. :popcorn:
Thank you,
Barbara

Barbara,

I know a little something about Eleuthera. We spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago. I think a little more is happening there now, but even if it is, the island is very very very laid back. That said, there were no scuba diving ops on Eleuthera (Harbour Island is a differnent story). At least there were not 2 years ago. There is a "shop" in Governor's Harbor that has tanks for rent. Candidly I suspect if you knew where to shore dive on eleuthera you would have an amazing time. My wife and I made a trip to Lighthouse Point on the FAR southern tip of the island where we snorkeled and wished we had brought tanks. Very interesting reef off the beach on that would have been very interesting to dive. As for beaches, there are probably other more beautiful beaches, but I don't know where. Just drive down the highway (there is only one) and then pick the first dirt road to the east you find and you will come to an amazing deserted beach. Truly magical.

Harbour Island is a different deal, but very populated. Hope that helps some.

I dove off Eletheura(near looking glass bridge) in May from Harbour with Ocean Fox, it was very average at least where we went. No where near as good as the shark feeding dive I did with Stuart Coves in Nassau. Above water I think it would be perfect for you, Harbour or the main island.

Justyou and rexman,
thanks a lot for the hints. Seems Eleuthera is great when you don't dive, but not really THE PLACE for diving. A read some very good stuff about diving in North Andros (www.smallhope.com) - but I have 10 more days to figure out where to go.
Thanks again, Barbara

yes Small Hope is supposed to be very, very, good.

The Abacos are very nice, but poor diving. Like they already said Harbor Island has the only diving operation on Eleuthera. Castaway Cay is for cruise ship passengers only. There is no air service or dive operators in the Berries. For what you describe I would try Small Hope Bay on Andros or Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador.

Rexman and Osprey,
Thank you very much, that helped a lot. San Salvador is a little bit far for this trip, but I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately Small Hope seems to be closed and reopens on Sat Oct7, my trip is the long weekend Fri Oct6 to Mon 9, but since it sounds so good I might consider staying somewhere else for the one night and then moving to Small Hope Saturday.

what about dive guana cay? they have a little operation on a little island where the people seem very nice. what about a weekend trip on a liveaboard? there is Blackbeard's out of Freeport? you can do a weekend trip for a good price and get away from big city lights and dive the out islands...keeps your airfare down too since not paying higher out island airfares.

DIVINGDAMSEL:
what about dive guana cay? they have a little operation on a little island where the people seem very nice.

I have dove off of Great Guana Cay in the Abacos. The reef is comparible to Pennekamp Park. The island that you are speaking of with the dive operation was nice & quiet & private when I was there but this was way back in the 80's. Walkers Cay is in the Abacos and offers better diving than most other islands in the Abacos. Last I heard Walkers Cays is still closed though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom