Bahia Principe Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek:
:yelclap: I loved Diving with the gang From Bahia Divers at the Bahia Principe. They offer reef and cenote diving along with snorkel trips and Coz trips. For local snorkeling I would suggest taking a very short cab ride to Yal-ku lagoon in Akumal it is mixed fresh and salt Water and simply amazing. A board member just got back from there a couple of days ago and I am hoping she will post a trip report. Please pass a hello onto my favorite DM while you are there. "HEY STEFANO!!!!!".

Not sure if this is best place for the trip report, but saw Karl's request, and figured I would give quick response..maybe some savvy SB person can paste this in the right spot.

First off: New to board, and trip reporting, so if I don't answer everything, feel free to PM, and I'd be happy to answer. Also, keep in mind, for the last few years, I've been doing all-inclusives several times a year, so I have a basis to compare to.

The Bahia...

My girlfriend from Denver and I (Jersey Girl) travel together every July. We always pick an all inclusive, and usually a resort that is single oriented. This year we departed from the single oriented criteria, and picked Bahia because there was a deal that was too good to pass up. I first flew to Denver..saw friends that escaped Jersey, then flew a no name airline (Aliegant???) to Cancun. The seats were cramped and broken (not fun at 5am CST), but got us there in 3 hrs, so can't complain. The deal was thru Apple Vacations, so transfers were included, which was real nice. After immigration, and collecting luggage, we just walked outside, found our flower shirt guys, and took a nice air-condidtioned tour bus South. The bus stopped at all the major resorts on the way, so we got to see a few lobbies on the way. Approx. 1 1/2 hr on the bus, we were at the Bahia, where a very nice women met us with a Mimosa (much needed). Our room wasn't ready, but they never are b/f 3pm.
We had a quick bite, and was placed in building 18, 2nd floor, which is good for gear drying on the balcony. It was a 5-10 minute walk to the Scuba shack, which is not bad..the resort is huge, a city. They have golf carts attached like a train that roam the resort, that's how big it is. If you're tired of walking, you hop the train, and it takes you where you need to go (at least close to it). There are 2 sides of the resort, mirror images with slight variations..we stayed on the Tulum side, which is the "South Side" , and on the other side is the Akumal side, which is the good side of the tracks. My room was just fine, and since we ended up eating on the Akumal side most nights, I didn't find any difference, but I was told, that the service and food is better on Akumal. All you do is ask, and the Bahia tries to accomodate, so again, I didn't see a huge difference. We asked if we could eat on the Akumal side, so I could eat with my dive buddy, and they let us, so no complaints there. Ok, now to the good part:
The diving..
Unless the diving is included, I usually go off resort and dive w/a local operator. This time, I decided to go w/the on site operator, Bahia Divers. I have all great things to say about the dive op. The people were really nice, the prices only slightly higher than the local guys (when you factor in transportation, not a huge difference), they give you a locker with a key, so you can lock up your gear at night, and, they make an effort to take you to a different site every dive. There was only 1 reef I saw 2x, but I did alot of diving (was there for 10 days)..also did Dos Ojes...a must do.
Oh, a real plus...bottom times were real nice. I've been with sooo many operators, where I feel gyped, not BD. Oh course they stay w/tables, but they are on the liberal side. If you're w/a group of 8 divers, and 2 or 4 are low on air, they send only those up, w/o ruining the dive for the others. This was real nice since I'm good on air. A few dives I was the only diver, and instead of cancelling the dive (as other operators have done)..I had my own DM!!!! NICE!! The "private" dives were w/one of the instructors Sebastian, we did a 110ft dive that was one of the best ever..who knew that a coral reef could be that beautiful at that depth!....the sea turtle life there is abundant, in fact they were hatching in front of the snack bar the week we were there.
I could really go on for ever, but all in all, for an inclusive, you can't go wrong. The food is quite good in the restaurants, (buffets always stink), the resort is clean, beautiful and safe. The beach is wonderful and calm, with a man made breaker. If you have kids, this is the place...tons of kids!! If you're single and looking for action, go to Cancun...oh, one last thing...don't take taxi's, hop the collectivo for 10 or 20 pesos, and explore...there are beautiful deserted beaches and lagoons, and towns all around you. Go to Playa Del Carmen, or some of the local towns like Tulum and Akumal..you'll have a great time.
Sandi

Chipper:
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on diving at Bahia Principe Akumal? Also wondering if you can snorkel out front of the resort or is it roped off?
I just realized I didn't answer your question in my trip report...yes you can snorkle in front of the resort, you only can't go in one area (a protected reef) other than that, you have alot of snorkle area..better tho to take a collectivo to one of the area's deserted beaches or lagoons..they are all up and down the coast.
Sandi

Back
Top Bottom