Bailout Calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobthegoalie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Calculating bailout is always an opinionated issue. There are various different ways to calculate your bailout. When I first trained I was taught to use VPlanner or iDeco and use their bailout feature to calculate. I don't know how many people use this but after taking my Normoxic Trimix CCR class I got a rude awakening. VPlanner and iDeco were wrong in the bailout calculations. In fact they calculated way to much time and gas. I did not want to believe this at first but by the end of class we did a bailout from the deepest longest part of the dive and got out of the water 2 minutes FASTER than the other students who stayed on the loop. The bailout came from 200' at about 30 minutes of bottom time. I was able to complete all my stops with two 40cf tanks. One tank of 21/35 to get me to 70ft and another 40cf of 50% to finish my deco.

The common knowledge is bailing out would mean more time in the water than if you stayed on the loop. This is confirmed by VPlanner and iDeco. Why is this false and why didn't I get bent on my bailout? This is because VPlanner and iDeco when looking at bailout calculations actually completely rerun the dive entered as an OC dive with the gasses selected. Thats right these programs do not take your deepest longest part of the dive and then calculate. Instead it throws out the fact you were on a rebreather.

There is a new way of dive planning coming to IANTD. This system not only allows in water updates to your dive plan but also allows you to calculate during the dive how much deco you want to do. When you look at VPlanner or iDeco and set a conservative rating what does that do to the equation that calculates your deco? What happens if something goes wrong in water, do you have any idea what the fastest way out is without getting bent? This new dive planning takes that fear out as you can control how much conservatism you want to add based on how the dive is going.

This system could change the way many people dive. These ideas stated above were not developed by me. Peter Sotis of ADD Helium has spent countless hours above and below water developing and testing these ideas. I learned, accepted, and tested this new way of dive planning in class and proved that it worked.

Hopefully this system helps with bailout but also gives the CCR diver a sense of calm knowing that he/she is in full control of how much risk they want to involve in each particular dive.

This post only briefly touches the ideas learned in class.

Sounds interesting. Any idea when this information will be made available and how it is going to be distributed?

I am not 100% sure. I believe it may come out as soon as next year.

Do you dive a rebreather? That dive using a rebreather is 92min. Using the bailout feature it becomes 111min. That is a third longer added onto the dive if you bailout. It also tells me I need 66cu ft of 50% when I only needed 30cu ft. So stating that I get out two minutes faster is emphasizing the fact my dive was no longer than if I did not bailout.

Calculating bailout is always an opinionated issue. There are various different ways to calculate your bailout. When I first trained I was taught to use VPlanner or iDeco and use their bailout feature to calculate. I don't know how many people use this but after taking my Normoxic Trimix CCR class I got a rude awakening. VPlanner and iDeco were wrong in the bailout calculations. In fact they calculated way to much time and gas. I did not want to believe this at first but by the end of class we did a bailout from the deepest longest part of the dive and got out of the water 2 minutes FASTER than the other students who stayed on the loop. The bailout came from 200' at about 30 minutes of bottom time. I was able to complete all my stops with two 40cf tanks. One tank of 21/35 to get me to 70ft and another 40cf of 50% to finish my deco.

The common knowledge is bailing out would mean more time in the water than if you stayed on the loop. This is confirmed by VPlanner and iDeco. Why is this false and why didn't I get bent on my bailout? This is because VPlanner and iDeco when looking at bailout calculations actually completely rerun the dive entered as an OC dive with the gasses selected. Thats right these programs do not take your deepest longest part of the dive and then calculate. Instead it throws out the fact you were on a rebreather.

There is a new way of dive planning coming to IANTD. This system not only allows in water updates to your dive plan but also allows you to calculate during the dive how much deco you want to do. When you look at VPlanner or iDeco and set a conservative rating what does that do to the equation that calculates your deco? What happens if something goes wrong in water, do you have any idea what the fastest way out is without getting bent? This new dive planning takes that fear out as you can control how much conservatism you want to add based on how the dive is going.

This system could change the way many people dive. These ideas stated above were not developed by me. Peter Sotis of ADD Helium has spent countless hours above and below water developing and testing these ideas. I learned, accepted, and tested this new way of dive planning in class and proved that it worked.

Hopefully this system helps with bailout but also gives the CCR diver a sense of calm knowing that he/she is in full control of how much risk they want to involve in each particular dive.

This post only briefly touches the ideas learned in class.

I'd simply push a couple of buttons on my Vision handset and follow the profile it gave me. Shorter yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom