Bainbridge Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WasWild

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know when the temp at Bainbridge starts to warm up? (I don't have a dry suit, but I have a 7mm wetsuit...) I usually go in the summer, but I'd like to start a bit earlier this year. They used to have a temp chart on their website, but I couldn't find it.

Two more questions...
Do the fish still swarm and nip at your ears, making a hood necessary
and
Is dive access "B" really closed to the general public now? I really liked that spot because it was more isolated.

Thanks!
Trish

I have not seen B open in the past two years. Durring the summer months killer fish are still there. As far as water temp still reading low 40's. The deep boat is reading about 38. Even in the summer the temp at the deep boat is bone chilling I think.

Now with that being said there been people out there last week with us in wetsuits with no issues it all depends on how well you withstand the cold. I myself think 40 is tropical though I been diving through out the winter there and in the local rivers with ice and snow.

I am afraid you may have to wait until late summer to get into the 50s.
Why not just get a dry suit and dive all year long?
The blue gills are always munching , ears, fingers, cheeks. Last fall one actually drew blood. I vowed to hunt him down but I can't find him- they all look the same.

Like Genx said access at B is closed and there are no plans to open it. It is being used for fish farming.
The only Isolated spots now are on the hill above A. Jim has done a nice job clearing that spot and has made for easier access. Still no shade for summer months there. You can always bring a canopy.

You should come up to Dutch. It was a balmy 43 degrees this past weekend. I dive wet with a 6.5 FJ. The second dive gets a bit cool but some of the wieners get cold in drysuits....:D

I've not been to Bainbridge but understand it's plenty cold. I'll have to venture up maybe next month, Mike...or maybe even August...hehe

Thanks all --

The older I get, the more the cold bothers me.

I think I'll wait until summer. My husband has a dry suit, but we have two kids in private colleges. Mine will have to wait...ha ha...and by then I hope to be living in Florida. If not, I'll need a suit to keep me warm on land!

What is it with those fish?

P.S. I like Dutch Springs -- that's where I did my OW cert dives. I used to live in Montgomery County, but now I'm in Cumberland and Bainbridge is much closer. My husband still goes to Dutch sometimes, since he's in the Philly area most of the week for work.

I hung out for the 2nd day of an OW class last August (low-mid 70's above the thermocline!) and watched a fish take a nip out of one of the student's hands! He wasn't expecting it....None of the little buggers ever bothered me....

I'm thinking of breaking in the 7mm within the next month or two...I'm a warm water wimp!!!

Late April/early May is a good time to start diving wet at BSC. The upper thermocline is developing now and offers relief from the cooler water on your ascent.

I was there on Saturday for a shallow dive.
52° 0 - 15ft
42° 30 - 60ft

Buoyant1 - Get that suit out now! I'll be at BSC on the 29th and 30th doing checkout dives (students in wetsuits).

I guess I'll start in May with the 7mm. I really want to start diving more. My daughter graduates from high school in June, so I'll have lots more time.

My husband and I are going to take a week or so and go to the FL panhandle -- just the two of us -- in June. I want to get LOTS of dives in then. I better do some refreshers at BSC first!

There's nothing like having cold ears...and then having a fish try to take a bite out of it...ouch... It's a hood for me from now on...

Hmmmmm tempting! Tell ya what, if I can ditch this cruddy cold, I may take you up on it! (hold one of those steel 120's for me heh heh heh!)

(btw... did you bag this past weekend because of the weather? I thought that's when you were going???)

Are you still working thursdays? I may stumble by....

miesemer:
Late April/early May is a good time to start diving wet at BSC. The upper thermocline is developing now and offers relief from the cooler water on your ascent.

I was there on Saturday for a shallow dive.
52° 0 - 15ft
42° 30 - 60ft

Buoyant1 - Get that suit out now! I'll be at BSC on the 29th and 30th doing checkout dives (students in wetsuits).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom