Baja Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just returned from my twelfth dive trip to the Yucatan. I decided it is time to try areas closer to my home in California. I have been fishing in Baja near SJD but never dived there. I would like recommendations for areas or liveaboards suitable for late December. My buddy is a teacher so we are limited to school holidays. We live and dive in Northern California so cold water is not a problem, as long as there is something to see. I want to wait for a future visit to do the Socorro Islands liveaboards.

I ) Insure your auto and equipment
2) Purchase camping equipment
3) Load auto/trailer
4) Head south of San Diego into Baja aka "The Baja"
5) Travel to end of Baja and return

Traveled the Baja many times and always another adventure -- around every corner or over every hill.

SDM

I ) Insure your auto and equipment
2) Purchase camping equipment
3) Load auto/trailer
4) Head south of San Diego into Baja aka "The Baja"
5) Travel to end of Baja and return

Traveled the Baja many times and always another adventure -- around every corner or over every hill.

SDM
Bring a few extra gas cans, flat tire inflator, and an adventurous attitude. I used to cross the border at about 4:30 to 5am. The crossing is chill at this time and have a nice breakfast at Ensenada.

You read my mind :wink:
So yes, if you pass by Loreto, please give us a call ! December is a great month to explore Baja, and if you have time I suggest you drive all the way down! It's one of the greatest roadtrips you can do. It's all about the nature really, and it gets very variated.
The water temp is not gonna be terrible in december, but it starts to cool down by then. Visibility stay really good until November, but I with some luck December would be really enjoyable too, but be aware that the planktonic boom starts around those colder months! Anyway, I do enjoy the dives here even when viz is not so good!
You will start seeing whales coming into the Cortez around that time, and the Pacific side has plenty too.
There are plenty of awesome diving places along Baja, but the main issue is the lack of diving facilities or proffesionals Divewise, the best spots by far, if you ask me, are Loreto and La Paz. Los Cabos has very limited dive sites compared to other locations and it's a very very busy place. On the other side, you can do a day trip to Cabo Pulmo and dive there, but you can also get there form La Paz.
La Paz has great diving and I believe you would be able to see the whaleshark easily around December. The only downside is that boat rides are very very long so expect full day trips, and with the north winds blowing around winter time, that can be a bit unpleasant. La Paz town has a nice, long boardwalk with plenty to do.
Loreto is of course my favorite place. It's a marine reserve with 3 main islands and several islets. Divesites tend to be very variated and boat rides way shorter. It's also way more sheltered from the wind, but it can be rough too depending on where you go. The town is small, quaint and usually quiet.
Another thing I really like is that the "sierra" (mountain range) is literally 5 minutes away, and there is a lot of hiking and cannyoning to do if you are into that.

As for liveabords, most of them depart from San Jose del Cabo.
Hope that helps, let me know or PM me if you need more first hand info!

We only have two weeks so driving and camping is not an option. I was hoping to exploit cheap flights to SJD and shuttle or drive from there. Loreto and La Paz as dive destinations are new to me. Is it feasible to fly to cabo and drive or bus to these towns?

We only have two weeks so driving and camping is not an option. I was hoping to exploit cheap flights to SJD and shuttle or drive from there. Loreto and La Paz as dive destinations are new to me. Is it feasible to fly to cabo and drive or bus to these towns?

Yes, and is actually a very common choice. You can fly from SJD to La Paz and Loreto, like a 30 min flight. Operated by Calafia Airlines. There are regular buses travelling from Los Cabos to La Paz and Loreto as well.

In this link Travel Information - Blue Nation Baja you can find this info and the links to all the companies that will take you there.

I would't disregard renting a car, as is actually faster than the shuttles and it allows way more freedom to stop wherever you want and get to places you wouldn't be able otherwise.
La Paz is like 2 and a half hours from San Jose, and Loreto is around 4 hours north of La Paz.

Is it feasible to fly to cabo and drive or bus to these towns?

We were in Cabo San Lucas this past November (going back this November), and dove with Manta Scuba. They arranged our dive trip to La Paz, including van and their own dive guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom