Baja Cortez 19 August with Hilary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
If you had plans?

IMG_7455.jpeg

I've been watching this all day. We're flying to Cabo in 12 hours for a liveaboard trip. Our weekend local diving in Cabo has been cancelled. Still don't know if the flights will get us there or if the boat will cancel. :(

I've been watching this all day. We're flying to Cabo in 12 hours for a liveaboard trip. Our weekend local diving in Cabo has been cancelled. Still don't know if the flights will get us there or if the boat will cancel. :(
I would be surprised if any airline would fly into that hurricane area. I have seen a lot of flight cancellations with hurricane tracks a lot farther away from Cabo, and with a lot less wind forecasted.

We did Socorro just over a year ago right after a tropical storm. Our pre-trip Cabo diving was cancelled, they delayed the departure, and the crossing was not fun -- about half the boat wasn't able to leave their cabins until we reached the islands. The diving was good once we got there, however.

What ended up happening with your trip, @living4experiences?

We did Socorro just over a year ago right after a tropical storm. Our pre-trip Cabo diving was cancelled, they delayed the departure, and the crossing was not fun -- about half the boat wasn't able to leave their cabins until we reached the islands. The diving was good once we got there, however.

What ended up happening with your trip, @living4experiences?
I'm writing this on August 19th, about 9 p.m. I've never seen or had a hurricane affect my travel plans till now, and this has been a wild ride. We arrived in Cabo San Lucas on schedule in the afternoon of August 18th. By the time we landed, Hilary was building as a category 4 hurricane and expected to hit CSL in the early morning of August 19th. We are staying at Tesoro hotel located at the marina. Most of the businesses are shuttered and the marina area, usually bustling with tourists, is absent of all people. It's very eery.

By 10 p.m. on the 18th, the storm came in as a category 2 hurricane. The sliding glass door of our hotel room has been violently rattlingly from the wind all night long, and we had been advised to not leave our room today. The windy air was forceful and cool in temperature. By 6:30 a.m. today, we've been seeing the full force of the hurricane. We opened the glass door to take a peek and it was a really warm and humid wind that was rotating in all directions.

Throughout the day today, there's been a mix of heavy downpours of sideways rain and gusty wind that is constantly changing direction. The sewers are backed up and there's raw sewage running in the streets. The smell is awful. The hotel hasn't lost power, but the A/C and the elevators have been knocked off line, and it was restored.

The strength of the storm has been weakening. Oddly, when we ventured out today, there was a stoppage on the sale of alcohol in restaurants, except Tesoro, until further notice. Mexico always surprises me with their whacky rules.

The liveaboard is still scheduled to depart tomorrow, and we're just in wait-and-see mode. This is a fast-moving hurricane, and the weather will be a challenge.

The storm continued throughout the night and we've awakened to a beautiful morning with sunshine and calm seas. We head to LaPaz this afternoon to board the Nautilus Belle Amie. Here's hoping we have a successful trip. 🙂

Looking forward to your trip report, we’ll be there on the Belle Amie on September 2nd.

I will write a full trip report, but I wanted to caution anyone who has the Rosario room on the Belle Amie. The air conditioning does not work. They have not replaced the air conditioning units nor fixed them.

I will write a full trip report, but I wanted to caution anyone who has the Rosario room on the Belle Amie. The air conditioning does not work. They have not replaced the air conditioning units nor fixed them.

Sorry to hear this. We are on next week’s trip and looking foward to your report. If you get a moment could you share the water temps?

Reactions: Dan
Sorry to hear this. We are on next week’s trip and looking foward to your report. If you get a moment could you share the water temps?
Very warm water temps, 83-90 degrees F. No wetsuit needed. The women wore skins only and the men wore shorts and t-shirts only. Topside temps are 95 degrees. The exposed deck areas are too hot for bare feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom