Trip Report Bali Dive Resort in Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I spent 11 nights at Bali Dive Resort and Spa in Tulamben in October 2023. I booked this trip through BlueWater Travel, which always provides excellent service.

The resort offers great value. It's spacious and well-managed, with large and comfortable rooms. The dive operation is top-notch! Everything is well-organized, and everyone is friendly and helpful.

During our stay, I did 21 dives in Tulamben and two in Amed. All dives were either from a rocky shore or a jukung (Balinese boat). Tulamben is mainly for macro and muck photography, but there are a number of 'wide angle' sites with nice corals.

The following video will show you what you can expect to see underwater in Tulamben and Amed. If you liked this video, please don't forget to give it a LIKE and show us your support. And, if you want to stay up to date with all of our latest adventures, hit the SUBSCRIBE button on the Diver's Lens YouTube channel.

Attachments

• Room-IMG_5980~photo.JPG
    Room-IMG_5980~photo.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Swimming Pool.jpg
    Swimming Pool.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DJI_0407.JPG
    DJI_0407.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DJI_0415.JPG
    DJI_0415.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 34
Great video production and editing values; you filmed many of the highlights of diving in Tulamben/Amed 😀

I am booked in Tulamben in November , and was thinking of changing the booking to a place in Amed , I have dived both the last 2 weeks and enjoy both sites, where would you stay JonnieB knowing the area so well? Sorry if I hijacked the OPs topic.

I am booked in Tulamben in November , and was thinking of changing the booking to a place in Amed , I have dived both the last 2 weeks and enjoy both sites, where would you stay JonnieB knowing the area so well? Sorry if I hijacked the OPs topic.
If you don't mind, I can share my experience. My friend, who lives in Amed for over 8 years, used to operate a dive resort in Bali and now a travel agent for BlueWater Travel, recommended me Bali Dive Resort & Spa in Tulamben and Puri Wirata Dive Resort and Spa in Amed. We have booked these resorts for October-November for 3 weeks each.

If you prefer a luxury accommodation in Tulamben, Villa Markisa Dive Resort is an excellent resort. If you prefer a budget accommodation in Amed, Bali Dive Resort & Spa Amed is a good option.

Thank you, I am travelling solo that trip, budget suits me. :thanks:

Well as you know, the areas are only a 15-20 minute drive apart so both areas can be easily dived no matter where you stay. I think it really depends on what you want from your dives and if you're single mindedly focused on diving (taking and editing photos/videos) or if you want a few more over-water activities and some good restos and maybe a little nightlife with your diving holiday. If solely focused on diving (and particularly macro) then Tulamben may be best. There isn't much to do in Tulamben other than dive, relax, and edit photos. There are only a few places to eat and nothing to do after dark.

If you want a mix of macro, shore, a wreck or two, some drift, fringing reefs, then maybe Amed is better. Tulamben has these too but maybe Amed a little more if them. Also, if you like turtles, they are much more common (Green and Hawksbill) in Amed. Amed also has other things to do besides diving like a couple gyms, yoga studios, massage and spas, a nice beach club (more like cliff club but spectacular views), deep sea fishing, and a plethora of restos and cafes to enjoy during a stay. There is also live music most nites at one or two resto bars in town. There are also real supermarkets in Amed for shopping. If you want all these things, and still want Tulamben's macro it's easy to stay in Amed and dive Tulamben. Also, a lot more variety in accomodations in Amed in price and amenities. As a months long guest, I prefer the amenities of Amed. On a shorter holiday, these things may not matter as much.

One thing also is the views of Mt Agung from Amed are magical and watching the sunset from Amed's black sand beach while enjoying a beer and tacos is a very special experience.

If you want a mix of macro, shore, a wreck or two, some drift, fringing reefs, then maybe Amed is better. Tulamben has these too but maybe Amed a little more if them.
OK, thanks for the detailed reply, Amed looks the winner for me, I also ate at a couple of places there and the food was very good, I love Bali/Indo food, and a greater choice of places to eat.
Arrived back from Bali late last night, ate what I liked, drank what I wanted and no "Bali Belly" for me, more chances of being sick from the Aircraft food.

Be sure to try Warung Enak if you haven't already, one of my favs. The pumpkin cheesecake is wicked 😋

Awesome video and editing. Out of curiosity, what camera and lens do you use?
Thanks a lot for your kind comment.
Here is the list of my Video Equipment:
Main Camera: Sony Professional Camcorder PXW-Z90
Housing: Gates AX700 / Z90 with Gates GP34A Wide Angle Port and internal UR Pro Red Filter
Video Lights for Wide Angle: Keldan Video 8X 11000 Lumen, CRI 92 (5400K) Keldan Ambient Filter M1 (10-20m) for 4X/8X
Video Lights for Macro: Backscatter MW 4300 Macro Diopters: Saga +10, Saga +5 and INON +6 UCL-165LD
Secondary Cameras: GoPro11 and iPhone 13 Max Pro (land only)
Main Camera Settings: 4K, 30 FPS Picture Profile: PP10 (HLG) Gamma: HLG3 Color Mode: BT2020
Drone: DJI Mavic 3 Pro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom