Bali - Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azgetaway

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Scuba Board,

I'm booking a trip for Bali, Tulamben in April and need some help picking a resort, please help me with your recommendations. We are a couple in our mid 60's she has 100 dives I have 500, we are not penetrating wrecks or doing anything tech. Standard 7 days 6 days of diving all inclusive kind of stay. Cheers to you all, best of everything SCUBA in 2024!

We stayed and dove at Villa Markisa a couple of months ago, and were very pleased with all aspects of the (quite small--11 guests max, I think) resort and the diving. Each couple or single diver has a dedicated guide; ours was eagle-eyed and very pleasant.

Hey thanks Morgan, much appreciated.

Scott

I have stayed in Liberty Dive Resort many times and cannot recommend it enough. You get your own guide, vehicle and driver, set your own schedule and also free nitrox. The property is beautiful, the newest rooms have direct views of the volcano and at night on the distance you can hear music from the temples in the distance. Made Saur has been my guide on all trips, who honestly has the best pair of eyes on the planet and is extremely helpful and kind.

I have stayed in Liberty Dive Resort many times and cannot recommend it enough. You get your own guide, vehicle and driver, set your own schedule and also free nitrox. The property is beautiful, the newest rooms have direct views of the volcano and at night on the distance you can hear music from the temples in the distance. Made Saur has been my guide on all trips, who honestly has the best pair of eyes on the planet and is extremely helpful and kind.
Thanks TT, how long ago was your last visit?

Having stayed at Liberty Dive Resort twice, I wholeheartedly agree with Tippytoes12's comments. However, I do want to caution you that most dives are shore dives and entries and exits are not always easy - especially if there is any wave action. That is because there is really not much of a sandy beach over most of Tulamben Bay: it is mostly rocks and boulders that extend into the first 20-30 feet (rough estimate) beyond the waterline.

When I first dove Tulamben, I was in my late 40's and thought nothing of trampling over those rocks and boulders.

But when I last dove there, I was in my mid-60's like you are now, and altho I felt that I was still quite nimble and fit, those entries and exits were no longer as easy. Granted, some of the difficulty might have had to do with my having gone to full-foot fins rather than open heel and having to therefore do the trampling barefoot while also carrying a large camera rig. To his credit, my dive guide was very helpful, and only my pride was hurt a bit.

Anyway, not my intent to scare you or dissuade you from diving there, but just something that you should be aware of if you have never dived there before.

DiveSites-Tulamben-08.jpg

Taken from this site: Tulamben

Having stayed at Liberty Dive Resort twice, I wholeheartedly agree with Tippytoes12's comments. However, I do want to caution you that most dives are shore dives and entries and exits are not always easy - especially if there is any wave action. That is because there is really not much of a sandy beach over most of Tulamben Bay: it is mostly rocks and boulders that extend into the first 20-30 feet (rough estimate) beyond the waterline.

When I first dove Tulamben, I was in my late 40's and thought nothing of trampling over those rocks and boulders.

But when I last dove there, I was in my mid-60's like you are now, and altho I felt that I was still quite nimble and fit, those entries and exits were no longer as easy. Granted, some of the difficulty might have had to do with my having gone to full-foot fins rather than open heel and having to therefore do the trampling barefoot while also carrying a large camera rig. To his credit, my dive guide was very helpful, and only my pride was hurt a bit.

Anyway, not my intent to scare you or dissuade you from diving there, but just something that you should be aware of if you have never dived there before.
Much appreciated Manuel, for sure we won't be happy rock scrambling, I still shore dive often but my chica not so much. Thanks much.

I stayed here a few years ago and was happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom