Bali: July or over Christmas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andydob27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be going to Bali this year. I was originally planning on Christmas/New Year, but the flights are pretty reasonable and I have some time off this July.

I was wondering when is better? I imagine Bali is pretty crowded around Christmas/New Years. Is the end of July/beginning of August really busy too? How about diving conditions and prices? Thanks.

Andy

I've heard Christmas is a bit crowded in areas like Kuta but it is off season and rainy, vis is not as good. I've spend plenty of days in fog/rain during December.

July is great weather & much better vis, but there are more tourists. If you visit durring the beginning of August you may catch a peek of the Mola/Mola as the season will just be starting. I've traveled that time of the year in Bali for the past five years and done fine.
Every year after the bombing it gets busier though. Sometimes I had a bit of trouble fiinding a room last year, so best to book rooms unless you confirm you are visiting after school holiday.

Last edited:
This years rainy season really hasn't happened, we've had very little rain as yet, so the vis is still good (apart from Tulamben).

Christmas is very busy, you will need to book rooms well in advance. As Kathy says, Mola Mola may be in season if you dive in July/August. They were first spotted in May of last year. But again, book rooms/dives now to guarantee places.

Re: prices; Some places change room or dive prices in line with high season, some don't, shop around.

Re: diving conditions; water will be colder in July, warmer at Christmas, Humidity is higher in December and the sun shines almost every day throughout the year.

I've been both times of year. I had some trepidation about going in December but the weather turned out to be the best of the 4 trips I have done to Bali. We never felt hot and it rained very little. Water temps and viz. were all very good. It was a little crazy some nights at our hotel but pretty funny as well with the Christmas theme stuff happening. Late summer and early fall are good as well. And we did get to visit the mola molas. February and early March have turned out to be the least favorable as it rained in biblical amounts in the south of the island. We went to the north(Menjangan) and it was dry and sunny. It is a big area with a lot of options with a lot of different weather happening.

Thanks for the advice. I booked my ticket today for this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom