Bali-one week-Recommendations for where to stay and dive - end of Feb. (after Phuket)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used the Adi Assri and also the Aneka Bagus in Pemuteran. As for dive centre, I recommend the guys at Reefseen http://www.reefseendivers resort.com Amanda, Adrian and Chris are great hosts, they'll certainly make you welcome.

They also have rooms, I think 8 or so, maybe you would choose to stay at the centre, but you'll have to book in advance as they get busy.

It is a long picturesque drive from Tulamben, maybe 2 hours, with many potholes and trucks, but easy driving.

I stayed at Tamin Sari which was FABULOUS!! It has been a good while since I was there, so don't know how the years have treated it. Check it out. We were in the butterfly suite which was exotic and lovely. Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins had left just prior to our arrival.

Taman Sari Bali Resort and Spa Pemuteran Singaraja Bali

It really depends on what you want.

Tulamben - terrific muck diving (black sand with small animals, many exotic), Liberty Wreck (jacks, bumphead parrotfish, wreck, coral, more macro). Possible to arrange trips to Manta Point (Nusa Penida) or Nusa Lembongan from there but not frequent, long ride, expensive. We really like the rooms and food and DMs at Scuba Seraya. You could do many dives a day (4 or 5 if you wished) if that is a consideration. Of all the regions, this would be my #1 choice overall. (Full disclosure: I spend a lot of my dives taking photos). Apparently great snorkelling at the Liberty.

Nusa Lembongan - if you love reef drift diving. We stayed a week, basically 100% of the dives were drift. Manta Point is next door (good for snorkellers - cleaning stn is very shallow), decent chance of mola mola in season (sometimes even in off season). Easy to walk around, lots of restaurant choice, relaxed. 3 dives a day would be max (I think we only managed three once - there were no night dives offerred when we were there). World Diving is the longest established op.

'Safari by land' - Personally I agree with Midget but YMMV. I find the driving of the Bali "safari" style plan tiring, but if you like you can dive many of the different regions in Bali a single week by travelling between resorts/areas by car. The drive by car is not short (if you are not diving where you are based there will be a car ride), then the wait for the boat, then wait for the car on the return -- it turns into quite a long day IMO with a fair bit of waiting between different legs of the trip.

Menjangan - can't really speak to the diving as I was there with my friend who was doing Discover Scuba only (so my max depth tended to be 30 ft - we did 4 dives). Snorkelling by boat was very good. It's a long drive, but if you like you can do a Bali tour either there or on the way back. We stayed at Mimpi Menjangan. Liked the resort, food so-so, prices have gone up considerably since we were there in 08. Natural hot springs were a treat. Not easy to get a third dive a day, unless you had a group.

Padangbai - I tried 6 dives there specifically to try to see one of the current dependant sites but we never made it. Options to Nusa Lembongan with one op. Many people stay in Candidasa to dive here. I don't think there are as many dive site options.

Amed - we stayed in Amed for almost a week. Very quiet and relaxing, but IMO not the best place to be based for diving and snorkelling (we did some snorkelling, mostly just relaxed).

If you have not been to Bali, definitely recommend you add some land touring for even 1 day, or on your way (many different options from dance to temples to spa).
N

Last edited by a moderator:
Natasha (& others), Thanks for that rundown - exactly what I was looking for. I have a week before and ~5 days after a Komodo LOB in June. First trip to Bali so would def like to do some tourists things. But I know nothing about them... Can you suggest a few things?

At minimum I would aim for at least one temple (your choice - many options, Tanah Lot (touristy) and the water temple were among my favourites) and at least one day in Ubud. Since you have some time before and after, a few days in Ubud area would likely be your best bet. You can browse some of the arts and crafts, get a driver to see some of the carvers' or artists' co-ops/studios and fit in as many performances you can (IMO at least one of which should have live gamelan). More Ubud options include walking, cultural classes, etc.

You may be able to coordinate this with some of your driving. Even on the drive to Tulamben you can learn a lot about Bali with a good driver.

If your GF/SO is with you, she would likely love one of the Bali spa treatments (Ubud area. Mimpi Tulamben is the only OK spa I found in Tulamben).

Diving Komodo, I personally would pick Tulamben (not Nusa Lembongan or Menjangan) for an extension to compliment it. Komodo contains my favourite reefs in all Indonesia - IMHO they cannot be beat. There is some incredible muck (including some of my favourite dives of all time), but not as much muck as reef.

N

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to coordinate this with some of your driving. Even on the drive to Tulamben you can learn a lot about Bali with a good drivers.
Yes, I would say the idea of Serendipity is very much applicable to Bali, especially around Ubud and the inside/northern part (Balinese are not seamen). Loose yourself into Bali with the help a flexible minded driver, there are lots of winding roads that will either end up on great vistas over splendid paddy terraces, or on the shores of a lake surrounding a mighty volcano, or nearby the entry of a lively temple, just at the time a colorful hindu festival is happening.

...and don't forget to order Ayam Betutu (stuffed spicy chicken, best in the north west, near to secret bay) and Babi Guling (roast pork, most famous in Ubud).

It sounds like you are a larger group of people. Then you might consider to rent a villa instead of a hotel room. If you are a larger group you can rent a very nice villa at a reasonable price - here are some examples of some great Sanur villas

For something to do, different to diving. The monkey forest near Ubud could be a good option. If you like some more action there is several good options paragliding along the coast.

Natasha (& others), Thanks for that rundown - exactly what I was looking for. I have a week before and ~5 days after a Komodo LOB in June. First trip to Bali so would def like to do some tourists things. But I know nothing about them... Can you suggest a few things?
We climbed a volcano and it was awesome to see the sunrise from the top! We also rode elephants in a tiny village up in the Ubud area. It was wonderful and we felt like royalty as all of the people were running out and waving to us as we rode through the village. It ended with the elephants riding through a small lake and playing a harmonica! Really! I would also stay in Ubud. Check out the Tegal Sari . Great little hotel with good prices and great massages. Beware of the evil monkeys in the monkey forest! They can attack you!!! Have a great time!

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I think I will stay at Padang Bai then go to Adi Assri for some luxury.
I've used the Adi Assri and also the Aneka Bagus in Pemuteran. As for dive centre, I recommend the guys at Reefseen http://www.reefseendivers resort.com Amanda, Adrian and Chris are great hosts, they'll certainly make you welcome.

They also have rooms, I think 8 or so, maybe you would choose to stay at the centre, but you'll have to book in advance as they get busy.

It is a long picturesque drive from Tulamben, maybe 2 hours, with many potholes and trucks, but easy driving.

Just got back from a month in Indonesia. Hands down, best place we stayed was Mimpi Menjangen. Dive with DM Sri. Muck diving in Secret Bay, Mandarine mating, drift dives in Menjangen...all outstanding. Mimpi will pick you up at the airport, transport to Banyuwadang aand back to airport. The hotel property at Mimpi Menjangen is amazing, with hot springs, pools, gardens, a gorgeous spa, a great restaurant, and convenient excellent diving. We also stayed with Mimpi in Tulamben and really enjoyed the diving there..especially on the Liberty. But Menjangen was better. Bali | Mimpi Dive Resort | Indonesia PM me if you want more info or pics.

Dd it's great to get an update on Mimpi Mejangan.

We have considered returning (I was last there in 08). Do you know whether they are offering night dives now (before it was just a dusk mandarinfish dive)? Also did you do any three dive days?

Would be interested to hear more about your Secret Bay dives. Have heard it is sometimes hot, sometimes not. Have yet to make the journey but revisited the option last time I was in Bali...

Glad you had a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom