Bali Trip - Dive op/lodging and Komodo add-on advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived Bali for years but have stopped going because its become so so busy. But its still a great place to go if you want a little balance between civilisation and diving. I was in Indonesia in August and decided to combine Komodo and Raja Ampat since I was going all the way there. Its a bit of a pain with flights and transits and airports but it was so worth it.

Komodo is a direct flight from bali. It was easily the best diving ive done in ten years of diving in asia. I'm a budget diver and stayed in Labuan Bajo. Its a tiny one dirt road town- Theres absolutely nothing to do there- no beaches, fancy resorts and a few nice eating places. But the diving is incredible.

Flight from komodo to bali then makassar. Overnight in makassar and then flight to Sorong, the airport to enter RA. Ferry from Sorong to Wasai. Small boat from Wasai to one of the homestays in Raja Ampat. Raja Ampat isnt cheap. I opted for land based again and stayed in one of the homestays. Amazing diving. Very different from Komodo.

If you have the time and are coming all the way to Indonesia I'd try and do both. Bali is great, but lovely beach holidays and decent diving can be had in so many places. If youre looking for bucket list diving then Komodo and RA are must do.

I booked everything directly myself.

www.stayrajaampat.com for homestays.

www.nusatrip.com or www.tiket2.com for flights in indonesa. The indonesian carrier websites sometimes have trouble with international credit cards.

Komod- I just googled and booked directly- but bookings.com and agoda.com had a good selection of hotels.

Wherever you decide to go, you'll have a great time in Indo.

happy bubbles

Just going to throw another option out there - have you considered a LOB Maumere - Bali?

I did one a few months ago with all the classic Komodo sites (Batu Bulong was a great spot for me)

In Maumere start at Coconut Grove - awesome little hobbity houses

I dived Bali for years but have stopped going because its become so so busy. But its still a great place to go if you want a little balance between civilisation and diving. I was in Indonesia in August and decided to combine Komodo and Raja Ampat since I was going all the way there. Its a bit of a pain with flights and transits and airports but it was so worth it.

My experience is a bit different. Although Bali is over crowded during high-season, crowds and bubbles can be easily avoided. Some sites at Nusa Penida are not worth visiting due to crowds, while other north side drift dives are quiet and peaceful. In contrast, popular dive sites @central Komodo will be over run by numerous LoBs (10+) and day boats.

We are all booked! We nixed the travel agent. They only work with AquaMarine, which was way too expensive for no reason, and wouldn’t book the hotels/room types we wanted.

We are doing a 4D/3N LOB around Komodo with Dragon Dive Komodo, flying with Garuda Air to LBJ, and staying at La Cecile and Sunset Hill Hotel for our bookend nights on Labuan Bajo. We booked Toyabali Resort in Tulamben, Sea Breeze in Candidasa, and and Bliss Ubud Abangan in Ubud. Tulamben/Padangbai diving isn’t reserved yet, but planning on Liberty and Geko for those spots.

It is still a ways out but I’ll post a trip report upon our return. Restaurant and topside excursion recommendations remain welcome! Thank you for all the feedback so far. We are really looking forward to this trip.

We are doing a 4D/3N LOB around Komodo with Dragon Dive Komodo, flying with Garuda Air to LBJ, and staying at La Cecile and Sunset Hill Hotel for our bookend nights on Labuan Bajo. We booked Toyabali Resort in Tulamben, Sea Breeze in Candidasa, and and Bliss Ubud Abangan in Ubud. Tulamben/Padangbai diving isn’t reserved yet, but planning on Liberty and Geko for those spots.

I'll be interested to have your feedback on La Cécile, I was also looking at this new hotel which looks good although a bit up on the hill.

As for Bliss in Ubud I've also considered it but it's it takes quite a walk away from the main road to get to the restaurants attractions, etc, (currently i am in Ubud, I tried to visit it yesterday as we were looking for another hotel than the one we had booked but it was too far away). My first choice in Ubud is Rouge (it wasn't available now), have you had a look?

There are two Bliss Ubuds (Spa and Abangan). Which one did you check out? Abangan looked like an easy walk to attractions but maybe I misjudged. I haven’t looked at Rouge but I will. I think we can cancel with no penalty if we change our mind.

There are two Bliss Ubuds (Spa and Abangan). Which one did you check out? Abangan looked like an easy walk to attractions but maybe I misjudged. I haven’t looked at Rouge but I will. I think we can cancel with no penalty if we change our mind.
We checked (or tried to) Abangan, it's some walk (doable of course) but it goes through a sort of trail that is further south down Jl.Bisma, surrounded with construction sites. Wasn't very appealing
On the other hand Rouge is jl.Bisma only 100m away from Raya (main rd, where the palace is). We tried Samhita and left after an hour, as the so called "suite room" smelt like cat's pee and was as attracting as a long term nursing home, so we walked in to Dewangga.
I would return to Rouge anytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom