Balloon Helium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
Out of boredom, and because there were a handful of floating balloons at work that were not needed anymore, I decided to see what was inside of them. Brought in my Divesoft analyzer. Put a piece of gorilla tape on the balloon to prevent rapid exhausting of the contents. Got everything ready and put an Xacto through the tape. Did exactly what I was trying to do. Controlled venting. Shoved the sample hose into the slot and waited a few moments for the numbers to stabilize. Hint, It's not 100% He.
1700509391480.png

6.2% O2
82.2% He
There has to be some O2 blended into that. Not heliair, that would only come in at 3.7% O2 given the fraction of He.
I have no way of telling what the mystery 11.6% of that mix is.
Something to think of the next time someone shows up with some "balloon grade" helium and wants to go diving with it.

This was one of the more floaty balloons. I'll try and get one of the not so floaty ones to see what is in that.

I'm surprised the oxygen is that low, I figured they would have closer to 15%+ to keep kids from passing out

Balloon grade should have at least 18% oxygen. Many places it is closer to 25% as the oxygen is much cheaper than the helium. Your balloon supplier is most likely buying industrial helium and it is just mixing with air while filling.
Many times industrial is cheaper than balloon grade as it is less labor to fill pure than mix unless they do a lot of balloon gas.

Balloon grade should have at least 18% oxygen. Many places it is closer to 25% as the oxygen is much cheaper than the helium. Your balloon supplier is most likely buying industrial helium and it is just mixing with air while filling.
Many times industrial is cheaper than balloon grade as it is less labor to fill pure than mix unless they do a lot of balloon gas.

Problem is I can't get industry grade. No supplier will supply it unless you have a pre existing helium account.

The reason I'm not doing my own blending.

does industry grade make your voice go even higher?

Problem is I can't get industry grade. No supplier will supply it unless you have a pre existing helium account.

The reason I'm not doing my own blending.
Yeah, that is pretty much everywhere. Swing by, I have helium for days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom