My MOD 1 Experience with Darren Fox @ Ocean Legends‏

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steverin06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading the thread about Rob Stewart, I feel compelled to share my terrible experience learning CCRs on this forum. I've shared this story on RBW, however I don't think a lot of people that are on the fence about going CCR have read that, or realize just how important it is to choose the correct instructor - hence I'm sharing the story here. Disclaimer: Yes, I am an idiot and I got taken for a ride.

Last August I was in Hawaii for work. I thought it would be an awesome experience to get my feet wet with CCRs in Hawaii and take a MOD 1 class with a rented unit on the weekends. The unit I wanted to try was the Liberty, as after reading the manual I really like how much redundancy the unit offers, among many other things. After a lot of research, I ended up contacting Darren Fox at Ocean Legends in Honolulu as he was one of the very few Liberty instructors in the Pacific. The only other one that I know of just happens to be Masayoshi Kondo - who lives on the same small island of Okinawa as me.

Darren he told me that if I wanted to learn the Liberty that it would be an extra $500 than the prism 2 course that I was also looking at. When I emailed him asking why learning the liberty commanded a 25% price increase over any other CCR MOD 1, his exact quote was “The liberty CCR is more expensive as its a more intense rebreather and needs a lot of focus on electronics package configuration along with skill development circuits so it's a more intense program overall.” Apparently Darren thinks he needs to charge students $500 more to learn the Liberty because their unit is more difficult to learn and the electronics are hard to figure out. More on this later.

So then I told him that I would rather take the prism course because it’s a lot cheaper and I’m not set on buying a rebreather at the moment. I also mentioned that Add Helium has some nice used prisms that I could pick up later relatively cheap. Only then did he offer me a $500 off “military discount” for the liberty course, making the price the same as the prism – but still markedly higher than with Masayoshi Kondo. When I then told him I was still going to pass because his class was still much more expensive than my other options, he then offered the liberty rental for free. Now after weeks of what seems like petty haggling I felt the price of the class was on the same standards of where I could find elsewhere, so I signed up.

After convincing me that add-helium’s certified used units were “junk, because when the electronics fail there’s no warranty and you’ll be out $4500” he then proceeded to tell me that he could save me “$2500-$3000” by offering me a much more expensive “mil-spec” version of the liberty with upgraded sensors, among other things and build the same liberty he has (a highly modified one) for the cost of the stock unit (about $8650). He told me there was only 1 mil spec left at the factory and I had to order soon or it would go to some contract and there wouldn’t be any mil specs available for quite some time. This sounded like a fantastic deal so after much consideration I jumped in and bought what I thought was a mil spec liberty to the exact specifications as Darren’s modified Liberty. Going against Darren’s recommendation, I also ordered the BOV because I’ve read too many positive stories about using one. During the ordering process, one great thing Darren did was work the divesoft to have them add the DSV with the BOV – as apparently divesoft sees their BOV as an “upgrade” - charging the same as everyone else’s BOV, but then only giving you a BOV and no DSV. I thought this was crap and explained why to Darren, who convinced divesoft to let me have both for the $800 “upgrade” cost.

MOD 1 day one, Darren spends a lot of time modifying my unit to his specs. The unit has just the basic STA so it can accommodate a hollis BP and an ISC wing. The only thing I initially noticed that wasn’t like his unit were the tanks – they were the stock white steel tanks. Then trouble happened when I tried to put US spec apex 1st stages on the tanks – they wouldn’t fit because the tanks are EU thread. This is an oversight that I do not understand happened from someone who has been teaching rebreathers for 20 years. This was the first time that I had to argue in person with Darren, because after he tried to get some EU threaded 1st stages shipped next day, I had to remind him that he told me I could have his exact setup for the stock price – so it’s all a moot point because his setup used black aluminum 19s. He conceded and took the tanks off his unit and gave them to me – that was the only solution if I was going to take this class. No way he was going to get new black aluminum 19s shipped next day. I paid for new tanks, but got used tanks because of an oversight that should have never happened.

I only had two weekends, 4 days to knock out MOD 1. As I’m learning my unit I realized that the liberty is incredibly easy to learn and use – and that goes for the electronics as well. The freedom handsets are intuitive, the unit is also incredibly easy to calibrate and accomplish pre dive checks, and Darren spent less time teaching me the Liberty than he did other students other units in this class. So I began to wonder why did I spend an extra $500 for learning the liberty than everyone else? I did not spend a single minute in a classroom environment learning the liberty – it was all hands on in a group setting. While I learn best this way, I started to realize I was not receiving any extra instruction to warrant the price difference. The freedom deco algorithm is a mystery to me, so I asked Darren to explain it in detail with me, his answer: “I don’t know, but it’s awesome - read the manual bro.” A couple of times one of my O2 sensors kept getting excluded during a dive, even when it calibrated fine and dove fine the first of a multi dive day. So when I asked Darren about it, his response “you should recal your unit before every dive.” However that’s not only impossible as the dives were 10 min apart from each other and we were wearing our unit in between dives, but the manual states O2 calibrations should be good for three days. He offered no solution to this problem. Another example: my unit leaves very little room on positive pressure test "stopping point" until the red " fail line", much less than another classmate's liberty. When I mentioned this, he just told me the pressure test displays are more of a recommendation and if the pressure doesn't change "alot," even if it's less than the red line that I'd be good to go. Also, the liberty itself absolutely does not require any more time instructing skill development circuits than any other system. In fact, once again other students on other systems took more of his time. So in essence, I spent an extra $500 than everyone else on MOD 1 for Darren to tell me to read the manual and to watch other students take more if his time on skill circuits. He did spend a lot of time modifying my unit, however he told me he could do that all for the price of the stock unit when he persuaded me to buy a Liberty. This was weeks after I purchased an inflated cost Liberty MOD 1 with the intention of renting his liberty. So when he tried to tell me that he did in fact spend all this time with me, it was really on my Liberty - modifying it because he said he would to make a sell. This is one reason why I feel completely ripped off.

After the first weekend I did a lot of reading on the forums and learned about the value of a helitrox cert – especially if you weren’t going to take MOD 2 anytime soon. Seeing as I just spent a large amount of money buying a unit that I didn’t think I was going to buy (because I thought I got such a great deal), I didn’t think I was going to be taking MOD 2 anytime soon. I told Darren that I was interested in this cert, and that I would talk to my boss about staying an additional weekend so I could knock this out with him. I explicitly told him that I wasn’t sure that I could take this class yet because it all depended on if I was able to stay another weekend or not. At the same time, after getting more knowledge on CCRs I gave Darren’s Liberty a good look-over and noticed that his unit had all kinds of bells and whistles that mine didn’t (off board gas add systems, y blocks, stage anchors, buttplate, bungees, etc. After he explained them to me, I told him I wanted them. I wanted them because from what he told me, I could have his setup for the stock price. I was beginning to realize that this was no way in hell possible, even though he told me it was possible. However, I didn’t want to start **** so I accepted that I was going to pay a bit more and he told me he would take care of it and send me the bill, and I’d have the parts on my unit the following weekend. Once I got my bill I was very surprised to see that I was charged $498 for a helitrox cert. This was on top of the extra $1300 dollars I was charged to have mine setup like his, including paying $100 each for O2 clean AC990s that were being used on the dil side only. A few days after the bill was sent out I learned that I would not be able to spend another weekend in Hawaii. I told Darren please refund me the cost of the helitrox cert as I couldn’t make it happen. His exact words “No problem, I’ll have the refund put in today.”

During the last day of diving, we were on the boat with a few other rebreather divers. One of them approached Darren and I overheard him ask Darren about his rebreather cert – it had been some time since he finished his class and he didn’t get any indication of his cert even being processed. I picked up on this immediately. I must have stressed to Darren a half dozen times how important it was that he put my cert in immediately so I could further my CCR education with Masa on my own pace.

Two weeks later, I received no email from TDI about my cert, and no refund for a class I didn’t agree on taking. However, I did experience what I thought was a CO2 hit and described it to him and asked his opinion on what happened over Skype chat. He completely ignored everything I wrote about my CO2 hit, and instead solely talked about selling me more tanks. He not once even addressed the fact that I had to bailout, hyperventilating and that I had noticed an abnormality with the scrubber during the class and pointed it out to him.

Three weeks later, still no refund or cert notification so I queried. He told me that refunds are handled by his accountant in NJ and that it was sent to her the day after I told him to refund me - and to check with my bank. I couldn't make this up.

26 days later, no refund nor cert notification. I called my bank and they said no refund was pending. Bottom line – despite what Darren told me, my refund did not get processed until 21 days after he said it was, and even then it was still awaiting Darren’s settlement on the terminal to make it final. Once Darren settled the terminal the refund took 3 days. Darren not once apologized for anything. He also took absolutely zero responsibility for what happened – instead blaming his accountant in New Jersey. I ended up getting refunded for an unauthorized $521 charge 31 days after I was told the refund was put in.

After living with my unit for 7 months, I don’t see a single thing that looks any different than any other liberty that I see pictures of online. I am convinced that, if there even is a “mil-spec” version of this rebreather, that mine certainly isn’t one of them. I could very well be wrong, but after everything that has happened I don’t think I am. This is just another flat out lie from Darren Fox.

Darren told me his price was inclusive of 8 boat dives. We only did 5 (well below course minimums). When he did finally process my certs, he sent TDI the wrong address. I wasn't going to get my certs on time even if he sent them out when he said he was going to. Good thing TDI wanted to confirm my address when I called to verify that Darren was once again full of ****.

The story doesn't end here. It has already been proven on RBW that Darren Fox is a dishonest salesman, lying not only to me but others that have spoken up about Darren selling "mil-spec" CCRs. It has also been proven that Darren Fox is a dangerous instructor who short changes the training of students, as myself and others have described on RBW and contacting TDI about this. In response, TDI has opened up an investigation on him.

I submitted a modified (easily digestible to the public) review of Ocean Legends to tripadvisor. Shortly after, Darren Fox emailed as many of my bosses as he could telling them that I am a "security concern" because I tried to get him to store "classified" material at his shop. Seeing as I never carry anything classified in public, this is yet another outright lie from a desperate man. He then wrote that the refund took so long because he was having to deal with my bank in Okinawa - funny, I didn't know that USAA originated in Okinawa. He also told them that he is considering litigation for slander, which is going to be quite impossible seeing as everything I've said about him is facts. Facts that, as myself and others have mentioned, find quite disturbing and telling because he refuses to even address them.

Because of these pathetic and sad attempts by Darren to try prevent me from doing my job (which failed), I now know without a doubt that the work me and others have done to reveal the truth about our dealings with Darren are starting to have a real affect. I urge anyone else that has a similar experience with Darren Fox to contact Shawn Harrison at Sean.Harrison@tdisdi.com. Be smarter than me when you choose your CCR instructor.

Thanks Steverin06 for the warning about car-salesman type "instructors"...the very last thing we need when trying to find a good (and I mean really good) instructor. The one I am dealing with now dodges the many questions I have. Until I find an instructor with their **** together, I will stick to OC. I loved diving on Oki back in the late 70s!

Thanks for posting this. I do hope TDI follows up on this. Either way could you update us here?

TDI isn't the only certification agency with a file on Mr Fox and his teaching/certification practices.

Unfortunately our dive group decided to spend a week in Honolulu on the way back from a week on the Truk Odyssey specifically because we were going to dive all week with Darren. Seems he ran into the manager of our LDS at DEMA and convinced him to spend our second week in Oahu instead of another location on the return home. Big mistake. We were blown out by weather the whole week save for one day but we did get to spend a couple hours "touring" Ocean Legends and hearing Darren talk about himself, which I believe is his primary skill. At the time he was big into Titan. Not sure who is more full of sh!t, Darren or Tomar :rofl3:

Not sure who is more full of sh!t, Darren or Tomar

I do not know Darren but I know Tomar pretty good. He is a straight shooter and a nice guy from where I sit.

FWIW Mr Fox is no longer affiliated with TDI.

I do not know Darren but I know Tomar pretty good. He is a straight shooter and a nice guy from where I sit.

Hard to tell if this is sarcasm or not. If not, that may well be the case in your instance, which makes you a bit of a unicorn. 100% of people I know who have dealt with Tomar would never have anything to do with him again. He is at best a charlatan, at worst a thief. He stole from friends and instructors of mine and if you told me 10% of the things he's ever said to me were true I'd still take the under.

It was not sarcasm. I know many, many people who disagree with you about Tomar. Obviously YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom