Balloonfish or Burrfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

This fish has been the subject of a bit of confusion and debate from me.
I've it had it identified alternately as a Balloonfish or Burrfish...

Any thoughts as to what it actually is??

214848710_8e62cb0184.jpg

216130834_a6f8b0b6b2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

That's a baloonfish. Didon holacanthus
It is also a burrfish, or a porcupine fish, or a pufferfish, depending on where you are.
That's the problem with common names... they have a regional component, and even some variance within a single region.
When I was a kid the kids from Palmetto Creek had lots of wrong names for fish that we more enlightened kids from Soldier Creek knew. (Those two creeks are less than a mile apart)
Rick :)

It's a baloonfish.

A Burrfish looks more like a porcupine fish with smaller spots, and less "burrs" don't ask me why.

I found a picture of a burrfish - disclaimer - it's not my picture :wink:

1.jpg

I know it as a porcupine fish. I love them, they have the cutest looks on their faces with those big eyes!

Rachel

Porcupine fish has small spots, and you can't see the "burrs" generally

Again - Not my photo

Porcupinefish_0187.JPG

Thanks for that guys :), especially for the scientific name Rick, that should put an end to the confusion :)!

Ok last one I promise....

Now this looks to me like a Black coral sea fan, but i've been told that it's not.
I can't think of anything else that looks like this..., not even a wide mesh sea fan??

Taken at a depth of 70ft...

214842983_45ebca4c9a.jpg

214843205_41648361a7.jpg

Best I can find is, it's a balloon fish. Looking at the spines, that are laid back in your photo, I found this piece of info that would, IMO put burrfish out of question.

"Burrfish are covered with short, heavy spines that are always erect—unlike their cousins the porcupinefish, which have movable spines.

Hope this helps, as I am nowhere close to being wise on fish anatomy.

...Jeff

Deepwater Sea Fan maybe (iciligorgia schrammi) (since you like the scientific names :wink:)

howarde:
Porcupine fish has small spots, and you can't see the "burrs" generally
All these fish are alternately called burrfish, baloonfish, porcupinefish, pufferfish... howarde is giving us the "official" (at least from the Humann/Caribbean perspective, who I think we all recognize as the best authority for us Scuba folk) common names, but don't be surprised to hear locals refer to any of 'em as any one of those common names... and don't argue :) If it's a pufferfish in Soldier Creek, and you're visiting Soldier Creek, it's a pufferfish. (and in Soldier Creek both the baloonfish and the porcupinefish are indeed "spiny pufferfish," along with the "official" pufferfish.)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom