Balmorhea in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody every camp there in a tent? I usually don't do that when going diving but it might be fun. We do go on non-diving camping trips so we have everything we need. So what is the campground area like? I am guessing there are hot showers and restrooms. We are thinking about a weekend in March.

From the Balmorhea website...TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

"Campsites & Other Facilities: Facilities include restrooms with showers; campsites with a shade shelter and water; campsites with a shade shelter, water, and electricity; pull-through campsites with water, electricity, and cable TV hookups; campsites without a shade shelter, with water and electricity. San Solomon Springs Courts has rooms with and without kitchens, a dining hall/meeting room. All of the rooms at San Solomon Courts are now designated as non smoking; chemically-free San Solomon Springs pool; a bathhouse; a playground; a Texas State Park Store is located in the Park HQ; an outdoor sports area; and picnic sites. Visitors entering the park pay only the entrance fee; no separate pool fee. No lifeguards are on duty; swim at your own risk. "

From the Balmorhea website...TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

"Campsites & Other Facilities: Facilities include restrooms with showers; campsites with a shade shelter and water; campsites with a shade shelter, water, and electricity; pull-through campsites with water, electricity, and cable TV hookups; campsites without a shade shelter, with water and electricity. San Solomon Springs Courts has rooms with and without kitchens, a dining hall/meeting room. All of the rooms at San Solomon Courts are now designated as non smoking; chemically-free San Solomon Springs pool; a bathhouse; a playground; a Texas State Park Store is located in the Park HQ; an outdoor sports area; and picnic sites. Visitors entering the park pay only the entrance fee; no separate pool fee. No lifeguards are on duty; swim at your own risk. "

thanks, but I was looking for specific info from people who have camped there in tent. I have read the info on the website, but that doesn't tell me if the campground area is a dump or nice. I have stayed at both kinds and I really don't want to do a noisy, dump again.

In that case, I can only relate what I have seen when we made an impromptu tour through the grounds (though I haven't camped there). The camping area appears spacious, with plentiful campsites, and the grounds were clean and neatly maintained. I didn't observe a great deal of shade or cover other than the covered shelters on each site, so it appeared to me that privacy would suffer. However, on the multiple occassions I visited, there were only a handful of campers and LOTS of spaces unoccupied, so the privacy issue was moot. Somehow, I can't really imagine the place being either "dumpish" or noisy, but I could be wrong.

Robin,

It is West Texas. Flat, dusty, ugly unless the light is just right.

I did not camp there, but also scoped out the sites from habit. The facilities looked decent (flush toilets, showers, maintained decently by the park staff). The sites have some canopies to add shade, but not every spot. There are some trees, but the ones around the camp sites are tiny, purely decoration. Everything looks well maintained. The park staff seems to do a good job with what they have, they just don't have much to start with.

Over near the pool area you have more mature trees on grass, very nice and relaxing. This is where you want to hang out between dives, not at the camp sites.

Beast and I will be there March 11-14 with some friends. We got 2 of the cabins with kitchenettes, made the reservation about a month ago. Hope we see ya there!

Robin,
I camped there a few years ago and enjoyed it. The facilities are pretty nice and it was quiet enough. Of course it was October when I was there so springtime might be different. The viz is incredible but after a few dives, you've seen all there is in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom