Balmorhea or Aquarena Springs in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warmwaterturner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Need some feed back. The wife (divebuddy) and I want to do a road trip in November. We want to go to Balmorhea or Aquarena Springs. Neither of us have done the Scientific diver class required for Aquarena - and I am not sure she would be willing to go to class for two days. Question is as both are springs and have some similar characteristics (depth, temp, vis) - which is the preferred site? We are in Houston so Balmorhea is 8 hours driving eachway verses 3 1/2 to San Marcos. Appreciate any experience with this.

I did Balmorhea last November. It was worthwhile, lots of fish and nice long 90min dives.

Be prepared though, you are deep in West Texas, not much around in terms of food & entertainment. Actually, not much around, period. Next time I would pack food at least for breakfast and lunch.

On thought, if you are doing a road trip, why not dive Valhalla outside Abaline on the way to or from. It is different than anything else for sure.

Balmorhea is around 21 feet deep, constant 72 - 76 degree water temp. Generally it is close to swimming pool clear but I have been there a few times when there was about 2' visibility. If there have been heavy rains in that area, change your plans. Lots of fish and some nice turtles that will come out to play sometimes.

We dive there year round. The weather in November can either be hot or freezing, calm or windy, so watch the forecasts and see what kind of clothing and protection you need to pack. There are picnic tables and trees but no other shelter. Depending on the direction of the wind, you can sometimes go to the back side of the pool and be sheltered by the brick wall.

There is one restaurant in Balmorhea and it is closed on Wednesdays. They don't serve breakfast. One of the small grocery stores sells breakfast burritos as well as other junk breakfast foods. The pool opens at 8am and closes at 9pm, it may close a little earlier after the summer crowds. Night dives can be usually be done if you make arrangements with the park staff. Air fills at the little shop by the park are $15. I can't say if they rent tanks or not, we always bring our own. It is a long drive from Houston but it is all on I-10. McDonald Observatory is a worth while trip for night time entertainment that is pretty close by. It is chilly to cold up there year round.

Valhalla requires a group and reservations. You can contact Mark or Linda http://www.familyscuba.com for information.

Hope that helps you a little.

I haven't been to either in a few years, but while Aquarena Springs is an interesting course and interesting historical site, the weekend is mostly classes. You get a little diving in on the second day. It's aimed more at continuing volunteer divers to clean the spring lake. BYO tanks.

Balmorhea State Park a huge swimming pool with a natural bottom, interesting history, two endemic species of pupfish along with the tetras, catfish, turtles, etc. It's in a warmer part of Texas than I, but the winds can be chilling. Love their hot showers! I like the park motel rooms, but it is a few miles to town. There used to be a few cafes, busy in the summer. The dive shop outside the gate did supply tank rentals and fills: Ph 432-375-2572. You may have water fowl pooping on the surface that time of year. It's a boring drive.

Air fare to Cozumel starts at $361 Rt. :cool:

Thanks, Don. Matter of fact we are headed back to Coz in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom