**bang**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captndale

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sunday I had a pool session planned with some technical students. I was planning to do a little fun session to break things up with some odd or vintage regulators. I had an old Healthways tilt-valve regulator that I thought might be fun to play with, so I got it out and put it on a full tank to check it out. The o-ring at the hose to second stage was leaking so I stopped and did a quick repair. I opened up the regulator, replaced the o-ring and tightened the connection.

Now, this Healthways regulator had a second stage that was an old tilt valve design. A tilt valve is an upstream valve and an upstream valve will not relieve excess pressure that builds up in the intermediate pressure hose in case of a first stage freeflow. For this reason, there must be an overpressure valve installed.

After making my quick o-ring repair I replaced the regulator on the tank and slowly turned the air back on with my left hand as I held the second stage by the hose in my right. *BANG* The hose ruptured with the force and sound of a firecracker right where I was holding it. My ears were ringing and my hand stung like crazy. Those of you who have ever had a firecracker go off in your hand know what it felt like - multiplied by about two. Three days later my hand is still sore.

What happened, apparently, was that the first stage was leaking so that the intermediate presssure went up to a pressure that was more than the hose could handle. (Low pressure hoses are rated to something in the range of 350 to 450 psi and will burst at 3 or 4 times their rated pressure.) The overpressure relief valve (which was installed) failed to operate.

I have seen (and heard) low pressure hoses burst on at least three occasions in the past. This was the first time I sustained an injury. I am just glad it was nothing serious. It is a reminder that compressed air can be dangerous.

Glad you are not hurt. I always have a down stream second stage on any reg when I have a tilt valve second attached for that very reason. Sounds like you need to repair the OP valve in the old Healthways. I have cleaned them and put them on a more modern reg that I can vary the IP on like a Conshelf and use it to purposely overpressure the valve and see where it opens at.
Any one know what the average relief value should be on the old OP valves? Around 115-120psi seems about right.

Back
Top Bottom