Bangka (+ Lembeh) March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also back from Bangka after a stay in Raja Ampat, stayed with Murex, dived twive Sahaung,n always my favorite and saw the white tip puppies under the table coral. Lots of giant frogfish too.
Aswar from Murex made m discover a fantastic but high voltage dive which is called Batu Pendita, on the mainland side, this is a current swept rock with canyon completely coevered with orange corals, very spectacular. One dive not to be missed, but not for the beginners : heavy current there!!!

Hi Luko,
For Bangka, I felt what I saw still not the best of bangka. Probabaly due to no current or I need to have guide with more local knowldege.
Only 2 giant frogfish, the black and green one at batu tiga.
No body told me about batu Pendita.
I'll have to give a try murex for next visit.

As for Bangka, the sites not be missed are Sahaung and Paradise pier, I am not sure a Lembeh dive operator will know sufficiently Batu Pendita, otherwise there are lots of good macro sites for pontohi pygmies like Sabora, Demak or Tanjung Usi. I like Tiga Batu too which can be done either macro or wideangle.

I'll be in Bangka in July, staying at Blue Bay Divers, and I'll definitely ask to do Batu Pendita. I definitely agree about Paradise pier, it is a great muck site and the pier itself is great for WA.

Luko I hope you have time to jot down a quick trip report for both RA & Bangka. I'm also looking forward to seeing your pics.

Thanks luko, looking forward to a RA trip report if u have the time. Your reports I always find very interesting!

Hi Wisnu,
Thanks for the review, we had a great time with you guys as our first customers and many thanks for the comments and suggestions, we hope to keep improving and welcome many more!
Sophie
Nomad Divers Bangka

Thanks for the trip report! Beautiful photos, especially Bangka Seascape 6. Makes me wish I were there right now...

I'm planning a trip in July to Bunaken/Lembeh, and now I'm starting to consider Bangka. Always helpful to hear about newly opened resorts, like Nomad Divers Bangka. Sounds like one day trip to Lembeh might not be enough for us, but we're just first-timers trying to get a taste for the best of the North Sulawesi area.

Paradise pier was our favorite dive in this area! Action packed night dive where we saw our first Bob tailed squid!

Hi Wisnu,
Thanks for the review, we had a great time with you guys as our first customers and many thanks for the comments and suggestions, we hope to keep improving and welcome many more!
Sophie
Nomad Divers Bangka

Hi Sophie,
Thanks for you hospitaility
we enjoy our time with you and simon

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 09:52 AM ----------

Thanks for the trip report! Beautiful photos, especially Bangka Seascape 6. Makes me wish I were there right now...

I'm planning a trip in July to Bunaken/Lembeh, and now I'm starting to consider Bangka. Always helpful to hear about newly opened resorts, like Nomad Divers Bangka. Sounds like one day trip to Lembeh might not be enough for us, but we're just first-timers trying to get a taste for the best of the North Sulawesi area.

Thanks FreedR
You can stay in Bangka and have a day trip to Bunaken and Lembeh
I believe me you'll be addicted with Lembeh, don't worry, you will find a good reason to return

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 09:56 AM ----------

Paradise pier was our favorite dive in this area! Action packed night dive where we saw our first Bob tailed squid!

Jake,
Where is Paradise pier?
our night dive at mimpi Indah was not special

Wisnu.. we did this dive when the Paradise dancer used to do their north Sulawesi trips. It was the pier of the Paradise Resort. Not sure if the resort is still there or not? I have sightings on this dive in my log book like 3 kinds of octopus, star gazor, pipefish, bobtail squid, etc.etc.

Jake,
Where is Paradise pier?
our night dive at mimpi Indah was not special
Wot???? you didn't do Paradise pier which is one of the landmark spots in Bangka area. Many divers return there twice in a few days stay.
It is located mainland in Likupang nearby Surabaya beach where you normally land with your boat for land transfers. if you look on your right hand side from the black sand beach and facing Bangka, you'll see a ruined down resort which was abandoned near 2001 (It was already almost brand new but never open when I first dived Bangka in 2002), the jetty of this resort is called Paradise Pier. Isn't Nomad going out around Likupang? If they don't, they're only covering half of the Bangka area sites... which is only half interesting...

Divewise, it's home to underwater hot springs, schools of mackerels under the seafan incrusted pillars, a very rich part of black sand muck dive with lots of forgfish, mimics, etc. a coral reef part where GPF used to abound.
In short you can dive three times Paradise Pier with a different lens each time and focusing on a different area.

okay,
you give me another reason to visit Bangka again

Wot???? you didn't do Paradise pier which is one of the landmark spots in Bangka area. Many divers return there twice in a few days stay.
It is located mainland in Likupang nearby Surabaya beach where you normally land with your boat for land transfers. if you look on your right hand side from the black sand beach and facing Bangka, you'll see a ruined down resort which was abandoned near 2001 (It was already almost brand new but never open when I first dived Bangka in 2002), the jetty of this resort is called Paradise Pier. Isn't Nomad going out around Likupang? If they don't, they're only covering half of the Bangka area sites... which is only half interesting...

Divewise, it's home to underwater hot springs, schools of mackerels under the seafan incrusted pillars, a very rich part of black sand muck dive with lots of forgfish, mimics, etc. a coral reef part where GPF used to abound.
In short you can dive three times Paradise Pier with a different lens each time and focusing on a different area.

Back
Top Bottom