Banned from Pro Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

What an incredible crock. You armchair lawyers are laughable.

LDS' are private businesses. They have no obligation to serve you and you have no right to demand service.

You are, of course, free to walk away and watch them go out of business. But that's it.

You can be refused for any reason that is not related to unlawful discrimination.

I'd love to see someone take my LDS to court. By the time it finished, the plaintiff and his/her attorney would be paying for my next set of doubles and a couple of trips out of their own pockets.

Even better, the LDS still wouldn't need to serve them.

I agree. The way some of these guys are acting is stupid, not illegal.

Vote with your dollars, it'll go away eventually.

how come visits in most of the LDS (from my experience) are closer to trying to get my car fixed (and dealing with mechanics who work _hard_ to screw me over on parts/work done) than a visit to say... best buy.. where i can walk in, buy what i want and left alone to make my own decisions.

(this is after long string of bad experiences with LDS, being royally screwed on cert prices, getting into arguments and having to fight for a guy to sell me a piece of equipment because he knows better (TM) and i should buy/do it his way...

out of of the places i know only a visit to Divers Direct is not a stresfull experience.. (because they are big chain that dont' do training and will just leave you alone in the store) .. also they dont' sell anything that i would like to buy :)...

ok, fine, had one beer too many tonight...

dugandiving once bubbled...
I presume your attitude is an example of the ethics of the american lawyer.

My attitude has nothing to do with ethics. It has to do with facts.

Fact. At least in the United States, unless there is some form of unlawful discrimination involved, a business can serve whomever it chooses.

Fact. I believe that the LDS in this case was stupid.

Fact. People have the right to be stupid.

Fact. The LDS didn't violate the law by refusing the course, although the black ball threat may be another matter.

By the way, I presume that your attitude is a reflection of your utter ignorance on this subject. After all, you know what they say about those who can't....

A little friendly advice. After a grand total of 13 posts, I really wouldn't recommend starting a contest on the Board.

Second piece of advice. American is spelled with a capital "A".

What is unethical about choosing your customers.

For that matter, while it may be a poor business practice, what is unethical about (1) only teaching DM classes to those individual's that the LDS decides it wants on its staff (otherwise, your training your competition); and (2) requiring your staff to use what you sell.

I don't endorse the policy and, as I stated earlier, my LDS didn't make me buy new gear. I believe that such a policy may be appropriate, particularly when the LDS compensates its DM's with gear discounts, free fills, etc...

Regardless, ethics has nothing to do with it.

Now run along and learn something.

To all those following the banned from Pro-dive thread, please accept my apology for messing up the thread. I became carried away, and drawn into a childish squabble that had nothing to do with the point of the thread. I fell into the same trap that I often warn others about. When the blood rushes to the brain, common sense often goes out of the window. Once again, please accept my apology for hijacking the thread.

Read my .sig.

Go to the URL.

Sign the petitions.

Get some tank stickers.

Put one on your LDS's front door.

Put another on the owner's car (on the BUMPER; not where it would do damage to remove it if they disagree)

Tell all your friends who dive about it.

Organize a boycott of these dive shops.

Hell, just organize a boycott of all of 'em, until this kind of behavior becomes unacceptable in general and it stops.

Until then, buy your gear online, and tell the LDSs where you got it, and how you'll NEVER buy from them so long as they act in this kind of way.

You don't have to put up with this crap.

Genesis once bubbled...
Read my .sig.

Go to the URL.

Sign the petitions.

Get some tank stickers.

Put one on your LDS's front door.

Put another on the owner's car (on the BUMPER; not where it would do damage to remove it if they disagree)

Tell all your friends who dive about it.

Organize a boycott of these dive shops.

Hell, just organize a boycott of all of 'em, until this kind of behavior becomes unacceptable in general and it stops.

Until then, buy your gear online, and tell the LDSs where you got it, and how you'll NEVER buy from them so long as they act in this kind of way.

You don't have to put up with this crap.

Thank you for that site. I've signed the online petition, haven't bought any stickers yet. I'm just happy to see something of the beginnings of an organized response by the diving community. I really hope it goes somewhere, and I really hope the manufacturers can be forced to behave and make owning an LDS a viable option.

The dive shops that have been discussed are finding themselves in the position of a dog chasing its own tail. They are annoyed at losing business, take it out on the customer, who will take their business elsewhere, hence the dive shop is now in a worse position than they were originally

Genesis is opening the New and Improved Good Deal Dive shops all over the country soon.
I can't wait!
Rick

So precisely when will Diverunion start offering classes?

So, let's see, in addition to battling the evils of dive shop and dive manufacturer pricing, thereby providing the manufacturers with a steady stream of recycling material, you're now going to petition to change the fundmental right of a business to choose its own customers.

Before everyone gets excited about this new organization, you might want to check out your leader.

Here's another cause that Genesis has adopted. Might we call the position a bit "extreme?" Regardless, note how well his bills and proposed statutes are drafted.

Genesis' Other Crusades

Here's what happened another time that Genesis adopted a new cause.

How Other's Responded

Personally, I try to avoid associations like this.

Back
Top Bottom