Barakuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gordanm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello!

I know its silly question, but I must ask: does anyone have spare parts for Barakuda Baramat 2000? Precisely, I need membrane (524314) and so called spannschelle (524306) and purge button (510034).

Any ideas where to find?

Thanks!

Gordan

Thanks, but membrane is different.

I have a couple of Baramats, bought them cheap but never overhauled them up to now.
If two of them have good membranes, I could cannibalize one of them and you can have one.
Hang on, I need a couple of days to check.....
Okay, took me more than a couple of days to check.......
Looks like you are talking about a Baramat 2002 2nd stage, not a Baramat 2000.
I think I have all the parts you might need.
Just send me a PM.......

Attachments

• P1130498.JPG
    P1130498.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1130513.JPG
    P1130513.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 39
  • P1130518.JPG
    P1130518.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 44
  • P1130521.JPG
    P1130521.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 48
I will make a pictures and send to you later today, it says 2000 here, but might be compatible.

Wow, that second stage diaphragm uses the same design principal as the old US Divers (now Aqua Lung) Aqua-matic (from around 1957). The same wedge effect sliding between the levers.

It was the first single hose from US Divers/ Aqua Lung.

Wow, that second stage diaphragm uses the same design principal as the old US Divers (now Aqua Lung) Aqua-matic (from around 1957). The same wedge effect sliding between the levers.

It was the first single hose from US Divers/ Aqua Lung.
Interesting, yes, looks like the same valve type.
The first Baramat came on the market between '70 and '73, so quite some years after the Aquamatic.

Barakuda started selling Aqualung Regulators in their catalogues in '66, so probably they cut a deal with AL in the early 70ties that they could produce their own Aquamatic 2nd stage version.

The 1st stage seems to be a German design, the 2001 and 2002 (not the Baramat 2000) have been remarkable in that sense, that they were some of the first 'dry' Piston1st stages on the market. The ambient pressure was transmitted via a rubber cap and three metal pins, similar to the Cressi and Beuchat wet designs.
Unfortunately did in the beginning quite some caps come off when diving, so those models gained (as others) a reputation as 'widow makers'.
In Germany Barakuda sold a lot of their Baramat regulators, although they were considered as hard breathers. No wonder, if the technique was from the 50ties.
Still interesting pieces of Vintage Regs.......

The concept of having two sliding lever (with parallel action) just seems to add the potential for too much extra friction. The mechanical advantage of the larger diaphragm (over the original AquaMatic) would help, but most not have been enough.

Aqualung probably didn't care much if someone copied that concept in the 70s. Even if Emile Gagnan had a patent, it was probably about to expire. Just my guess...

Interesting about the dry piston designs. At least in theory it seems like a reasonable design approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom