Bare Arctic 7mm Hooded Vest- How much extra weight in fresh water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobbonthecorn

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Bare Arctic 7mm hooded vest (Size is large) and plan to dive it for the first time this week. (Over my existing exposure suit.) Any idea how much extra weight to add for neutral buoyancy? Thanks in advance!

a lil' over 3 lbs...

Hmmm, I think you misunderstood his question (or perhaps I am about to). I think he has never worn the vest before, so he needs to know how much weight to add now that he is adding the vest - 3lbs might be right for going from freshwater to saltwater, but not for adding a whole new layer of 7mm shorty wetsuit with hood.

My full BARE Arctic combo (Medium) has about 25lbs buoyancy. The outer layer/vest w hood must be about 10 lbs for me. A general guesstimate for a large would be 12-15 lbs?

I just tied mine in a weight belt and threw it in the pool to measure its buoyancy, but I did both pieces at once to get the 25 lbs.

yeah I never use that much wt. ... even with a full 7 ana 7 shorty over it I'm sinking with 10-12 lbs. - course I have a steel LP 121 on my back... helps...

when I lose the overshorty I generally discard a few lbs...

My XL tested at 11 so plan on 10. The salt vs fresh amounts to a rounding error.

Pete

Hey cobbon! I just started using the artic 7mil hood vest(large) over a artic 7 mil fullsuit in april. I start with a extra 10#. After about 2 months-I have gone down to 8# extra weight. The vest is a good investment compared to cost of drysuit these days.

Thanks to all! My vest came in at 9-10# in fresh water. Dove 90 and 85 ft in 45F water for 30 minutes each. Paired the vest with a Henderson 7/5 hyperstretch. Loaded the suit with warm water before the first dive and stayed warm the whole time. 70 minute surface interval repeat with warm water, but just wasn't the same. Could have stayed longer than 30 minutes, but hands were starting to chill in the 5 mil gloves. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom