Bare ATR HD Grief

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under Michael

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a custom Bare ATR HD drysuit last October and after about 60-70 dives the neck gasket is leaking horribly. I replaced the wrist gaskets in spring when I discovered they were useless unless I was wearing dry gloves. I think the wrist gaskets were just sized poorly by Bare, tough luck.

I can't understand what's up with the neck gasket though. I apply talc after every dive as soon as it's dry and it appears to be in good shape but just doesn't seal all that tight anymore. Has anyone else experienced this with Bare and/or this drysuit?

I talked to the place I bought it and he pulls out a Bare replacement gasket. If the first one crapped out so soon, don't think I'll be paying to install another piece of **** neck gasket.

Has anyone replaced their neck gasket and discovered a quality replacement? I heard Viking is better than most. Thanks,
UM

Under Michael:
I bought a custom Bare ATR HD drysuit last October and after about 60-70 dives the neck gasket is leaking horribly. I replaced the wrist gaskets in spring when I discovered they were useless unless I was wearing dry gloves. I think the wrist gaskets were just sized poorly by Bare, tough luck.

I can't understand what's up with the neck gasket though. I apply talc after every dive as soon as it's dry and it appears to be in good shape but just doesn't seal all that tight anymore. Has anyone else experienced this with Bare and/or this drysuit?

I talked to the place I bought it and he pulls out a Bare replacement gasket. If the first one crapped out so soon, don't think I'll be paying to install another piece of **** neck gasket.

Has anyone replaced their neck gasket and discovered a quality replacement? I heard Viking is better than most. Thanks,
UM

If it was working and it isn't anymore then there's a pretty good chance that you put a hole in it. What I often see are holes made by fingernails. Stretch the seal carefully all around and see if you can find a hole. If you find one then a couple of drops of Aquasure will patch it up.

R..

I have the Bare ATR -- but the light version. I've had it for three years and have never had a problem with the neck seal or wrist seals (latex).

I also have a ATR HD and no problems. Neo neck seal and latex wrist.
Love the suit.... no problems. Mine was a custom too.
Had to get the undergarment altered and now everything fits great.

When you have your drysuit on, how far up is the top of the neck seal? I try to make sure it is up as high as possible as I've had some leaking as well in my Bare suit if it is too far down. I also find that if I don't wear a hood, I will get some leaking.

Is the neck seal Latex or Neo?

Try folding the neck seal in about an inch or so.
This might help!

Twister:
Is the neck seal Latex or Neo?

Try folding the neck seal in about an inch or so.
This might help!

The gasket is latex

Warren_L:
When you have your drysuit on, how far up is the top of the neck seal? I try to make sure it is up as high as possible as I've had some leaking as well in my Bare suit if it is too far down. I also find that if I don't wear a hood, I will get some leaking.

When I wear a hood I'm perfectly dry but in the current water temps a neo cap is so much more comfy.

Dan Humble has informed me that the latex gasket should be below your adams apple, to fit correctly. Ive tried above and below and doesn't seem to be much better high or low without a hood.

I would like to think if it actually fit correctly I would be dry without. I did try on a brand new Bare Gasket (same size) in the shop and it fit much closer than mine. It appears that mine has just stretched and no longer fits that great.

That would be the difference I guess - mine is neoprene. I don't really know much about the latex seals other than my wrist seals, which are latex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom