BARE HDC Tech Dry Review - The Drysuit From Hell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got problem too with 1 Bare Tech dry and 1 HDC tech dry!
here a letter i've sent to the dive shop where i bought these drysuit in the begining of june 2015. I wrote this letter on oct. 2015. We are now the 4th of december. Since we leave the drysuit at the local dive shop on the 27th oct...any reply of local dive shop or Bare(Local dive shop said that the send my letter directly to Bare on oct 17th)...until this morning because my girlfriend send an email to our local dive shop to have news, and they said that they should received our drysuit next week..repair again! ... What you guys think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015-10-16
Hello,

Here is a summary of the problems we've had since the purchase of 2 drysuit (1 woman TECH DRY standard and 1 men HDC tech custom) in mid-June 2015 form local distributor dive shop in (QC) canada!

After nearly 8 long weeks waiting we get our drysuit. (We were told that the wait time was 4 weeks for tech dry standard and 5 weeks for custom HDC!)

1st problem: Bare installs boots sizes 7 instead of 8 as was specify on the order on the TECH DRY women! The Drysuit must be returned to Bare. We need has to wait another 2 ½ weeks to receive it.

2nd problem: After a few dives only, the HDC Tech dry starts leaking left knee. The drysuit must be returned for repair to Bare!
uZgJLafXBxzfvfY6LXHCT2NADO9nqegHOOOZ4tLkFuWQ66OqglIDHeHa9MBhqUuhH14YmxWvdpza9lpWluVqh-UrWFE312zNajTDfOxMWW0wq3Rw63bwTTACEYLXLg0mNhoKRk-kNtBRhNA3

3rd problem: After a few dives only Tech Dry WOMEN begins to have leaks in the left leg, mosly wet at left knee. Also in the top of the right thigh near the ... Zipper. Try with 4 dives and leaks are in the same place!
tc2C1poSNlsuFVNjjpg97nO7SnyA13ss_ycjVCDCa7vpHQh6SUFJAFCfnN3uTWQhfapPODHW6ESvO-179ahsSxXMykj4fCKqdD9MJ2snU9fHdvFhnS2X2xVJ20dmAYOU8qdzE5d7X0yq3dVU

DMDnU-47LMI5pxh1X3pIFSu9s0qv47RqBC0XI5Lgq-Tkve2ii9X-uKfreLkvvGXb_h24ujMQ-M86VsuHqPgSCOw7h7t876duVdPQrfiWvX9dJcd7Plx6qZVP2OusPLTySbrt1Pwi7-lAHlT2

4th problem: After nearly 5 ½ weeks of waiting, the HDC tech dry comes back from Bare. From the first dive, leaks at the left knee and the front of legs among (Front crotch )! Try with 4 dives and leaks are in the same place! What's weird is that the drysuit did not leak at that location (crotch) before sending for repair to Bare.
mTzgpvDO_Rs_aAQwAeEUrD8rV34i78Rt32ZIBHKvr7U-bHdUtcf1Pys2wXbKj7BdNLeO1ctrYdwORJrr9XUewmwno6UqjRkNo9lSSS2ExokMkY1z-BAuQyxaNUlZ7csPmv7fusKm5VMobLcF

We went in mid-October 2015 and we spent about half the time to wait, but to enjoy the pleasure of diving dry!

Now we still need to send our once to Bare for investigation! We were convinced, to put our trust in the Bare product! It goes without saying that it is normal for us to be very disappointed with these products!

We truly hope that Bare will have a good solution for us!

Last edited:
Are you sure the zippers are closed all the way? I know it seems a silly question, but the zipper closes at the left leg, for both suits to have the same issue is a little odd. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but are you sure you are closing them all the way? That would be my start. Also, did you lube the docking end of the zipper?

Yes i put lube on zipper , and we take care to close the zipper all the way..... they are closing on the right side! My drysuit are arrived yesterday at the dive shop, and Bare said that they repair the seams on both. So they really had problem! I know that drysuit will leak in time... but 2 drysuit leaking less than 20 dives...??? And this was the 2nd repair for my HDC!

Since I first posted this BARE has reached out and tried to fix this situation. My issues stem mostly from what I was (and wasn't) told by my local rep. BARE's brand manager a Huish has been very easy to deal with and after hearing what I had to say has offered to make me a new MTM drysuit from scratch. I am just talking with them now about getting the new suit made so I will update when that happens.

Needless to say, I am very impressed by BARE's willingness to take care of my concerns. Again, I think the biggest disconnect was with the local rep.

Glad they got that taken care of for you! Acwaman was the national sales manager for the Huish Group. After seeing this, I asked him to pop his head on here and take care of you since it didn't seem like you were getting anywhere, and nobody local was really helping. Glad that you guys found a solution, and they are taking care of it ASAP!!

I finally received the new suit. The build quality is much better than the first suit. So far so good. Once I get some more dives on it I will post a review.

I wonder how much of that was caused by the LDS. I had a problem with my MTM Bare HDC Tech Expedition suit last year. Took it back to the shop I bought it from (it was about 6 months old). The shop shipped it off to Bare, Bare replaced the faulty zipper. Wish it hadn't happened, but customer service handled things as well as one could hope for.

I stood there while the shop owner called Bare for the RMA, too. He didn't have to argue or anything to get them to take it in for warranty work.

An instructor recently made the point to me that I needed to LOOK at the zipper before every dive and be sure it is fully sealed. Once I started doing that I find things are drier. An obvious point in retrospect, but probably I'm not the only fool.

My bare hdc tech dry has been sitting in my cupboard since December when I bought. Getting it out once the ear infection I have atm clears up.

This thread worries me!

Back
Top Bottom