BARE Nex-Gen for a first drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking about getting my first drysuit in the next few months. Have any of you had a experience with the BARE Nex-Gen suit? I did some research and have found some decent deals on a whole package to get set up.

Thanks!

That's what I dive. I've dove dozens of times with it and never had a problem.

Mike

That's what I'll get and dive at Lake Lanier this winter, if there is any water left by then! I can't stand real cold water any time. Scuba.com has a package deal for around $1,200 for the NexGen by BARE. DUI is a good suit, but a little too pricey for me.

I like mine. It's a great suit for the price. For me it might be a tad baggy in the legs, but I use gators to remedy that and am not sure if that might not be the case with other brands as well.
BTW. You are not forced to use the big boots, which will require you to buy another set of fins. You can use regular boots. In fact on boat dives, I just put my fins over the built in "socks" works well.

Five years and 150 + dives. Just replaced my neck and wrist seals for the first time. If you're diving in cold water ( below 52 degrees or so) you'll want a different undergarment than the one that comes with the suit. I bought a Bare CT 200 to use during the winter and it works great. You'll probably get the best package price from Divetank.com

It's great option and quality for the money.

That's what I'll get and dive at Lake Lanier this winter, if there is any water left by then! I can't stand real cold water any time. Scuba.com has a package deal for around $1,200 for the NexGen by BARE. DUI is a good suit, but a little too pricey for me.

Check out divetank and scubatoys for their packages as well. not sure what's included in the scuba.com package, but i got mine for about $850 shipped from divetank and that included the suit with thigh pockets, trek boots, 150g fleece undergarment 7mm hood, 5mm gloves and some other stuff (bag, wax, talc, inflation hose,...). I ended up selling the boots and gloves though (I prefer Chuck Taylor hi-tops and my 5mm Camaro gloves) and have since then bought several new (warmer) undergarments, so in hindsight I should have just bought the suit by itself for about $550 or so (I saw them go for that much someplace).

As for performance the suit has worked fine and kept me dry, but for now at least I still prefer my 3mm compressed neoprene because I prefer the material (warmer, snugger fit, swims better, more flexible, but for negative it's heavier and takes longer to dry).

For a starter suit it's fine, though you could probably get a decent used suit for about a third of that price give or take which might be a better way to start in the sense that you could gain some experience with a cheap drysuit first before upgrading to something expensive once you have a better idea of what you want.

I have had mine for five years. Had it modified for modular gloves. It has been in Alaska, down the Inside Passage, and in Lakes Superior and Michigan. I just had the seals replaced. A good basic suit, no bells or whistles. Never had a leak. I would buy another if the need arose. For cold water, the undergarments that ship with the suit are not sufficient (they don't claim to be, so no false advertising there) so you will need a good undergarment if cold water is in the future. Enjoy the suit, a good buy for the money.

If you think that it will be your "first" dry suit, do yourself a favor and just get the second one right out of the gate!

There's nothing more expensive than gear you buy INSTEAD of what you should have bought!

:D

If you think that it will be your "first" dry suit, do yourself a favor and just get the second one right out of the gate!

There's nothing more expensive than gear you buy INSTEAD of what you should have bought!

That's why I got the Pinnacle Evolution 2 as the 'first' and hopefully last drysuit for the next decade... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom