BARE Nex-Gen for a first drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you think that it will be your "first" dry suit, do yourself a favor and just get the second one right out of the gate!

There's nothing more expensive than gear you buy INSTEAD of what you should have bought!

:D
I thought that too. After I bought my Bare Nexgen, I actually wanted to 'upgrade' to a DUI TLS350. After trying the DUI a few times however, I went back to the Nexgen. Just didn't feel or experience much difference, at least not enough to warrant changing. Really did not like the feel of the 'socks' on the DUI.

I have used mine in 40-50 degree water in Wisconsin in the spring just after the ice melt and was toasty warm with the provided undergarments. Of course I am rather cold blooded according to my wife (as far as outside temperature!).

Mike

I checked their catalog, apparently it does not ship with the two piece undergarment like older models did. I did have suspenders put in mine when I had the seals replaced at the factory. It does make a difference for me.

Is a garbage bag with seals and a poor suit compare to DUI TLS SE.

Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines, Canada just outifit my cousin for $1195 with u/w, rock boot, bag and socks and underwears.

It's a better suit than a Bare with a more streamline cut and it has better customer support.

Check out Dan's store. Dan is cool guy! Welcome To DansDiveShop.ca

Is a garbage bag with seals and a poor suit compare to DUI TLS SE.

[/url]

On the other hand, I heard that the TLS SE is too much of a compromise to be a suit labeled by DUI. Go figure.

The Bare Nex-Gen is a great first suit, plus they are inexpensive enough that they hold onto their value fairly well. I just sold mine (eventually upgrading to a tropical suit) and only lost a few hundred, plus the guy that bought it got a good deal. The Bare suits are tough as nails, and seem to hold up very well (unlike some other bi-lams)

Have fun diving dry.

If you think that it will be your "first" dry suit, do yourself a favor and just get the second one right out of the gate!

There's nothing more expensive than gear you buy INSTEAD of what you should have bought!

:D

For a lot of gear I second this advice. But drysuits and BCDs have SO many options that you are less likely to make the best possible choice in your first purchase.

I think it may make sense to buy something modest or even used so that you can form some strong opinions about what you know you want. What I thought I wanted in a BCD and drysuit didn't hold up once I started using my carefully researched choices.

- This Zeagle BCD is just what I need! Nope, kind of dislike it for reasons I never could have forseen.
- I don't need a self-donning drysuit! Nope, because of how I gear up it would actually be quite convenient. Didn't know that until I really started diving often.

Anyway to answer the OP, that Bare is good as far as I know and it is modestly priced as new suits go. Get it, use it, and figure out what your preferences are. With a little luck, you may not even want something else.

I just purchased a Bare Next Gen suit on e-bay and got a great deal! Paid $400 for the suit, rock boots, DUI heavy undergarment, hose and bag. I have been diving with a dry suit for years and when it was time to get a new suit I went this way.

I could afford a more expensive suit in fact went to the LDS and they wanted to sell me one for $1,500 without an undergarment and accessories. The total would have been about $2,500 with everything including tax. After some thought I decided that $400 was a much better value and I would still be warm and dry and didnt have to pay a fortune in the process.

I have over 100 dives on my Nex Gen. With the CT200, I am warm in Winter and in Lake Michigan (39 F). I have replaced the seals once. IMO a quality drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom