Bare Nex-Gen modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some input.

A couple years ago I bought a Bare Nex-Gen. I really like the thing. It's held up really well.

My problem is, the darn neck-seals (Latex) continually leak. I replace them, they work very well for about a dozen dives or so, and then things get "loose". Depending on how much my head is miving around (looking to see whats going on etc) I can easily fill my suit with water. I can hear it bubbling as my head turns or I look up and down.

I didn't even trim the last seal I put on, even though it was a bit uncomfortable. I knew it would loosen up a bit. I know what too tight is, as the first time i tried it in a pool, I got a screaming headache, to the point of almost nausiousness. For some reason my body can't stand a tight neck seal, but it ain't like it's falling off or anything.

My thinking is two fold. I am interested in a dry hood. I am also willing to try a neoprene seal as well. I have a call into Bare to see if my Nex-Gen could be fitted with a neoprene seal and/or be fitted with a dry hood to possibly help as well.

I'm sick to death of spending money on neck-seals, to the tune of 2-3 a season!

What are your thoughts?

A drysuit hood would really help. It will put some addition force, but not much on the seal at that area and keep the water out.

I had the same problem with a neoprene seal, especially looking under rocks, ledges, etc. With the hood the problem is gone. 100% dry... Bare make two different drysuit hoods, check them out.

Could it be that your seal sits too high on your neck and the suit actually pulls it open when turning your head? Also some people just have lean neck muscles that can cause a gap when you turn your head. The same with wrists when you make a fist. I have also heard that there is a quality difference in latex seals and the poorer grade has a "memory".

I'd say the neoprene seal in itself will not help your problem. If you're leaking with the latex you'll probably leak with neo even more. The neo tends to stay strectched out faster.

Your other idea with a dry hood sounds like a reasonable solution although I've never tried one

I use/used Viking latex neck seals. Good or poor quality I don't know. Also, I try to put the seal as low as possible down on my neck for the obvious reasons.

So my next question is. It seems that some have had success with the dry hood. Does the dryhood "fit" the NEX-GEN as it sits? Does it require a "flap" to go over the hood?

I've never used or seen one in use before.

Keep the info coming guys! This is great. I'm gonna be dry soon enough!

Scuba_Steve:
So my next question is. It seems that some have had success with the dry hood. Does the dryhood "fit" the NEX-GEN as it sits? Does it require a "flap" to go over the hood?

I've never used or seen one in use before.
The drysuit hood has a much smaller/shorter bottom section and does not tuck in like a wetsuit hood. I put the hood on over the neck seal and it makes it fit tighter to my neck for a better seal.
Check out This Picture from LP This is the hood I am using at the present and it fits nicely with enough room to be comfortable, but still keep the head and face warm. I poked a hole through the top to vent with a hot nail prior to diving. The more expensive hood comes with a vent in it, which I like.

OK guys, this is what I'm referring to.

On both pics, the description is as follows..."..........Hood neck seal is designed to work with a dry suit neck seal and marries to the drysuit double-collars."

I don't have any "collar" on my suit let-alone a double collar. As of this AM, Bare doesn't give a crap about answering, so I'll have to come to where I can get some real answers....HERE!

Regards

Scuba_Steve:
OK guys, this is what I'm referring to.

On both pics, the description is as follows..."..........Hood neck seal is designed to work with a dry suit neck seal and marries to the drysuit double-collars."

I don't have any "collar" on my suit let-alone a double collar. As of this AM, Bare doesn't give a crap about answering, so I'll have to come to where I can get some real answers....HERE!

Regards
Both of us are talking about the same hood. I don't know what the "double-collars" is about, but my Bare hood works well, keeps me head and face warm, aaaannnnddd prevents leaks at the neck seal when looking under rocks and the like. Just pull it over the neck seal when donning and it will help.

Maybe this is what the "double-collar" is about (scroll down where it describes the suit).

What kind of temps are you diving in anyway?

Ok... Well what I was refering to was an actual dry hood that keeps your whole head dry. It is incorporated into the suit as both a neck seal and hood and is most often latex or rubber material. The seal that interfaces with the water would then be around your face. Probably would require a bit of extra care and equalizing can be a problem for some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom