Bare Nex-Gen modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQ:

Yeah that's what I assumed was a "collar" too. This would help, except I don't have one on my suit. I'm not sure I could buy one either.

Those hoods on the D/R web page are definately not dry hoods, as I have the same type of thing already. They don't help the neck seal at all. (In my case)

Out temps? Well, southern Ontario tell you anything? Last weekend it was from 34-37 degrees. we did 40 mins., most of it at 107ft.......yes we froze our a$$e$ off. Especially when the seal started to leak at around 30 mins. I was soaked from the waist up......totally.

Bridgediver:

This what I was thinking as well. A hood that is part of the suit if it had to be. I was really hoping I could just get some sort of tighter around the neck hood which would help the neck seal, but the more I think of it, a full suit-and-hood might work a whole lot better. I am a tad afraid of the equalizing bit though. My right ear is a bugger at the best of times.

Sounds like a roll of duct-tape might be the only answer. It works, but DAMN it hurts coming off.

hehehehe

so is your seal still as it was brand new? not cut off at all? Do you have a small neck? I'm not a small guy, but I had to cut 3 bands off of my seal to avoid headaches cause it was extremely tight. I might cut another soon. I have yet to have a drop of water enter my suit through the neck. I'm using a standard bare hood, no zips, nothing fancy, no problems. I've seen a dryhood that one of my instructors was using. he wore a small hat that velcro'd under his chin then pulled on his full latex hood that was permanently attached to his suit. worked like a charm but he said it does leak occasionally.

Scuba_Steve:
Hey guys, I need some input.

A couple years ago I bought a Bare Nex-Gen. I really like the thing. It's held up really well.

My problem is, the darn neck-seals (Latex) continually leak. I replace them, they work very well for about a dozen dives or so, and then things get "loose". Depending on how much my head is miving around (looking to see whats going on etc) I can easily fill my suit with water. I can hear it bubbling as my head turns or I look up and down.

I didn't even trim the last seal I put on, even though it was a bit uncomfortable. I knew it would loosen up a bit. I know what too tight is, as the first time i tried it in a pool, I got a screaming headache, to the point of almost nausiousness. For some reason my body can't stand a tight neck seal, but it ain't like it's falling off or anything.
....snip....
What are your thoughts?

I started to notice wetness on my chest. I assumed it was coming from the inflator valve and fiddled with it, even phoning the Bare service dept for advice (and they were very helpful, btw). The problem remained, although sporadic. It finally dawned on me that it was water coming in thru the neck seal when I was swimming horizontally in the water and trying to keep my head up. It became particularly noticeable when I started diving double 72's and had to really arch my back to stay horizontal because of the top-heaviness.

I've pretty well resigned myself to having a new seal installed, assuming I'd cut too many rings. Now you have me wondering. Is it even remotely possible that there's an inherent flaw in the design of the Nex-gen body that causes it to pull down too much on the torso creating a failure in the neck seal. Other suits have built in suspenders which might keep pressure on the torso and allow the neck seal to sit normally. I know it's a reach, but is this possible? I've been tempted to have suspenders built into my suit for convenience reasons. I would definitely do it if I thought it might rectify the leakage.

Better yet, Bare could use my suit for a test case to try the suspenders. 8)

JohnF

I think it's just us skinny people.

I'll give an update in a week or so after I've got it figured out.

No reply from Bare yet either, for those keeping score on the "Do they give a $hit" card.

Scuba_Steve:
I think it's just us skinny people.

I'll give an update in a week or so after I've got it figured out.

No reply from Bare yet either, for those keeping score on the "Do they give a $hit" card.

Skinny ain't my problem. 8)

JohnF

As an update, Bare finally replied. Not bad, 4 days. I will post more when I decide what I'm doing.

As closure to this thread.

You can read my most recent post in "Did I screw my neck seal up" by mempilot I believe, to see my fix for this thread.

I basically installed a Viking neck seal (latex) and dry hood to my Ne-Gen. It seems to have worked well.

No real installation problems, other than being a newb at hood installs. I would do a beter job next time, but it doesn't look too bad at all.

A special thanks to Bob3 on S/Brd.

We have the answers to our diving problems, and they're all here on this little board.

Thanks guys

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom