Bare Nex-Gen Pro Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for opinions on this suit. I am in the market for a new dry suit and this one has come up a couple of times, and it looks to be a pretty decent one and it's in a price range I can afford. And the sizing charts seem to work for my measurements. So, anyone have any personal experience with this suit? What do you think?

And I'd also want to add pockets to the suit...do they do a decent job attaching them? And the matching undergarment that goes along with them...good?

Any info/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the suit, but only a dozen dives on it so far. Based on those I'd say the suit is good value, but in hindsight I could have found a better suit used for about the same price had I waited longer - I just didn't know enough about drysuits at the time to know what to look for. I wish I had waited as I'm already thinking about upgrading at some future date to a custom DUI TLS350 or maybe a compressed neoprene suit.

Positives: The suit kept me dry and warm. No leaks, tough, inexpensive. Valves have worked well. Diving was fine in it, but I did experience more drag than in a wetsuit. I also like the soft booties because they can be used with Converse high-tops which fit my XL jets (size 11).

Negatives: Back zipper (I'd prefer front) and no cover for it. Not very flexible. During my dives on it I could not reach my valves (I can reach them in my wetsuits). Since then I've received some tips on how to reach them (which I have yet to try out), but I suspect the suit may just not be flexible enough. I've read similar comments from others (there was a thread about it started by kidspot). Also, I sold the Bare Trek boots that came with the suit because they were too large for me at size 11.

Pockets: You can add thigh pockets and they can sewn on in a Bare factory, but it may be better to glue them on yourself because that way you get the pockets you want. (I like my x-pockets). That's what I did, but now they are pealing off already, probably because I didn't glue them on properly due to lack of experience with that sort of thing.

P.S. I'm considering selling mine so if someone's looking for one in size MLT then pm me.

COW: I've got 50 dives on my nexgen in the last 8 months or so.

I like it and it's working well. I managed to get a pin sized hole in my right knee (my fault) but no problems based on the suit. It is good value for the money IMO.

Once I wear this one out I'll probably get a Bare XCD2, but you're talking quite a bit more money...

I have a Bare Trilam HD that I love, fits perfectly, well made, and the price wasnt bad. I also have a Bare T100 undersuit, its warm, but not warm enough so I bought a set of fleece at REI. I do get cold very easily though to YMMV.

COW:

I've got the nexgen as well; it is a great suit. I also had the Bare pocket put on and no problems there either. I think the lds (IDC) sent it back to Bare to be attached and they did a quality job.

If you get cold while diving I would suggest the heavier undergarments. I think I have the 100 and I wear a fleece vest under it to keep warm.

Cheers,
Bill.

*Floater*:
Negatives: During my dives on it I could not reach my valves (I can reach them in my wetsuits).

This is not a problem with this particular suit. I have a nexgen and I can reach my valve fine. I suspect you'll have the same problem in any drysuit until you get used to them. I couldn't reach mine at first either.

OP: Overall, I think it's a great entry level suit. I don't know when I'll upgrade. It keeps me warm and dry so as long as it continues to do this, I see no reason to buy another one. If you're diving in BC, you may need to CT200 underwear. I've used them in water as cold as 6 degrees and had no problem but I also have a very thin base layer from MEC. I'd doubt it if the 100s will cut it in that water.

I've been diving with this suit for two years now and have no complaints at all. In fact, two of my buddies have them as well. You could glue your own pockets to the suit instead of paying for the factory ones. They great thing about this suit, is that it's relatively inexpensive, so you don't worry about modifying it to your liking. For the price, you simply can't beat it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom