Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry Pro's & / Con's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have found a great deal on this suit. Just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with Bare? In my intial search of advice, I've heard some really great positive comments. Any comments will be welcomed. Thank you! CamG Keep diving....Keep training.....keep learning!

I almost got it when I was looking for a DS, had a last minute entry that pretty much ruled it out.

My remark is that the factory offered pockets are next to useless, suspenders are priced ridiculously, otherwise no bigger objections. So, if you can get a nice price for it, why not, it's a good suit.

I own one. I disagree about the factory pockets. I have the velcro bellows pockets, and they work quite well. They are better constructed and easier to use than the pockets on my X-shorts.

The suspenders are overpriced and do not work very well.

The suit is very durable. I installed a P-valve in it and punching through the leg material was a chore. This durability adds a little extra weight when compared to some other trilam drysuit offerings.

The chest zipper has been easy to use and has made getting in and out of the suit a solo affair, instead of having to ask your buddy to zip you up like with my previous suit. This was the key feature for me.

The ATR feature (Automatic Torso Recoil) makes putting the suit on or taking it off pretty easy and removes the need for a strap of some sort to deal with excess torso material. The downside to the ATR system is that if you flood the suit (or have a P-valve "malfunction") it is difficult to dry that area behind the stretchy neoprene. The rest of the trilam suit dries pretty fast.

The built in leg gators work OK, but still allow excess gas to migrate to the legs if you are not diligent.

The default bicep dump valve location requires a slightly different technique than a shoulder mounted one. A muscle flexing pose dumps gas better than just lifting the arm.

The latex wrist seals have done a much better job of keeping my wrists dry than the neoprene seals on my old drysuit. The wrist seals seem to have developed some surface cracking a little sooner than I expected (despite applying 303 Protectant regularly). I chose the neoprene neck seal, and it has worked well.

I chose the attached boots in size XL (USA 10), despite typically wearing a 10.5 or 11 street shoe. With two pairs of wool socks, they fit nicely. I can still use XL Jet fins with the suit, but the are hard to take off. If I use Turtle Fins, the fit isn't as good, but it is easy to don and doff the fins.

I'm 6'2 and 205lbs and the stock XL fits me pretty well. I think the Bare Trilam HD Tech is a sold option and a great value compared to other trilam suits that cost considerably more.

No complaints on my suit and I've had it for over a year now. The Trilam Tech HD is a very tough suit and should last you a very long time. Hope this helps.

Only complaint that I have about mine is that the suspenders didn't stay attached. It looks like they are attached by a tape that is heated. No big deal an hour and a bit of Aquaseal and all is well.
I also don't see how anyone can say that the pockets are small. I have had a 50lb lift bag in one. Could have put more in if needed.

I also don't see how anyone can say that the pockets are small. I have had a 50lb lift bag in one. Could have put more in if needed.
Agreed. One of my pockets usually has a 50lb SMB and a spool or two in it with room to spare. The other usually has an extra mask and wetnotes in it with lots of room to spare.

Bare does have several pocket options. Perhaps evil_xander saw the knife pocket.

What I have been offered here are pockets that are literally next to the suit, flat, I could put some tables in it and that's about it.

I have no doubts about the quality of the suit, but was that a dealer fault or not, who cares, it was the only option, and before I even went for it and added proper ones myself, I got a different offer, the one I chose in the end.

I would realy like to say thank you to you guys for the comments on the Bare
DS. As it turned out I saved about 5-600$ on a 2007 Trilam HD Tech Dry! That was awesome! The DS was a large and fit great except for the boots, no biggy sending it back for correct size. I decided to go with double pockets, suspenders, CT 200 under garments and boot liners, and the Tech Dry Hood w/zipper. I was afraid of being disappointed due to my original decision to go with the Pinnacle Evo 2 but after trying on the Bare I am very pleased! So is my wife! Ha! Ha! How long that will last no one knows! In my quest for dive gear I have had some incredible opportunites to meet and recieve some great advice from other individuals like you! Personaly I feel the dive community "Scubaboard" aka you guys are great! When purchasing gear, I like to buy the right thing once instead of several before finding what works. This forum offers that opportunity by the comments and advice that is offered! Thanks again for your help! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:lotsalove:

I recognize my comments are too late now; but I just wanted to say that my BARE TechDry experience looks exactly like that offered by xiSkiGuy. I am happy with my BARE. Although, I do have to say I haven't experienced the cracked wrist seals yet. I might one day. I don't know. My suit is only about 20 months old and I do not dive it regularly. I live in Texas.

I am a certified Ice Diver. I am proud of my certification. I am going to Okoboji, IA in about six weeks to Ice dive again. Thank you. And yes, I am from Texas. I hate the cold! Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom