Wrist seal repair tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgrimley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
BARE Trilam Tech Dry suit
Standard latex wrist seals

I put on Rolock 3 glove system to replace an old simple Si-Tech (non-locking) glove system. I like it, but when putting it on I am pretty sure I put too much pressure on the built in wrist seals. After some unnatural movements on a recent dive the wrist seal separated from the suit slightly and got a slow leak in the wrist. I see some more separation (pics attached), and a bit on the other wrist.

I think I can patch this up with Aquaseal FD but would love any suggestions on technique.

Thinking -

1. use a plastic syringe to squeeze the compound into the trouble spots
2. Then put a thin layer of aquaseal around the full circumference of the wrist
3. Let it sit for 10-15 min to cure a bit
4. But a bottle or jar through the wrist to keep the shape of the seal round

Welcome suggestions! Thanks in advance.

- Eric

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpegIMG_0537.jpegIMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpegIMG_0537.jpegIMG_0538.jpegIMG_0539.jpegIMG_0540.jpeg

Edgrimeley - Do you have installed Si-Tech PU-Rings on your sleeve? It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you have glued in wrist seals with a the rolock system fitted over it.

I had a similar thing happen when I replaced the original si-tech housing with the Ultima. I actually had cracks on the inside of the suit on the PU-Ring. Have you removed the rolock housing to see what the inside of the PU-Ring looks like? Here is my post from earlier this year

Repair SI Tech PU-ring

Edgrimeley - Do you have installed Si-Tech PU-Rings on your sleeve? It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you have glued in wrist seals with a the rolock system fitted over it.

I had a similar thing happen when I replaced the original si-tech housing with the Ultima. I actually had cracks on the inside of the suit on the PU-Ring. Have you removed the rolock housing to see what the inside of the PU-Ring looks like? Here is my post from earlier this year

Repair SI Tech PU-ring
Thanks for the quick note back! No I don't have the PU-Rings attached. It's an unattached ring system that's not glued or built in. No cracks.

When I forced those rings in I was just a little too rough on the seals I am guessing.

Good idea on your thread to keep sealing silicone tape. That would have saved my second dive the other day.

Thanks!
Eric

Not for fixing the leak, but when I don/doff my gloves, I hold the suit side ring with my off hand, clench my fist and rotate my wrist to lock the bayonet. Might take some of the stress off your suit seal?

I wouldn't use aquaseal to repair that...it may make it difficult to replace your latex seals in the future. Instead use contact cement or contact Dive Rite In Scuba and ask what they use to glue in latex seals and buy some of that.

-Z

I wouldn't use aquaseal to repair that...it may make it difficult to replace your latex seals in the future. Instead use contact cement or contact Dive Rite In Scuba and ask what they use to glue in latex seals and buy some of that.

-Z
Thanks! Looking in to contact cement as an alternative.

Success (so far).

1. used DRIS drysuit glue to touch up the trouble spots. thanks for the suggestion on not using classic Aquaseal for that.
2. Used Aquaseal NEO (liquid neoprene) for a thin layer around the seam on the wrist. Used painter tape to keep it clean. I should have pulled the tape after the neo got tacky rather than waiting. Was hard to pull off without impacting the newly set neoprene.
3. Put on another layer of neo.
4. Tested using balloons (good idea DRIS) and the water-soap technique to look for bubbles.

Next stop, the Pacific.

tape.jpg

suit.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom