basic Nitrox wrist computer - best option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

* Mares Puck Pro. Looks to be very basic. Least expensive unit. Likely prefer something a bit nicer.
* Aqualung i300.

Puck Pro's the cheapest, i300 might compute you longer no-stop times on a LOB dive schedule.

Geo's extra bucks for "less conservative" algorithm you say you don't want, and smaller form factor -- how your eyesight? I am not sure a Zoop would you get anything that i300 doesn't and Giotto's extra features aren't really useful.

Puck Pro's the cheapest, i300 might compute you longer no-stop times on a LOB dive schedule.

Geo's extra bucks for "less conservative" algorithm you say you don't want, and smaller form factor -- how your eyesight? I am not sure a Zoop would you get anything that i300 doesn't and Giotto's extra features aren't really useful.

Mares Puck Pro goes for only about $140, the Puck Pro+ is minimally "improved" for about $250, runs Mares RGBM
Cressi Leonardo goes for about $195, runs Cressi RGBM
Aqua Lung i300 is on sale for $195 while being replaced by the i300C, runs PZ+
Of these 3, I would go for the PZ+ algorithm and the Aqua Lung i300

If you want a more liberal deco algorithm, I would go with the puck Oceanic Veo 2 for about $300 or the watch style Geo 2 for $350. The Geo is just as easy to read as the Veo 2.

Yep. And 12 yo Bunnahabhain is on sale for $50 a bottle in a liquor store up in Wheeling IL. For me it'd be a hard choice between a Puck + one of those bottles for $200, or an i300 and no bottle for $200.

I wear my Geo 2 as a watch all the time. When diving I only check my air integrated computer for gas and I watch everything else on the Geo 2.

The bottle would be gone, you'd be stuck with the computer :)

Yes, and if bigger NDL numbers on its screen gave me the warm and fuzzies, it'd be a no-brainer. As it is, they don't, only single malt does. That's what makes the choice hard.

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies. Considering your feedback and my own preferences, the Geo2 is now the front runner and i300 is in second place ... which is different than where I started. And it looks like there are several good choices. Really like this board, it's been super helpful with trip planning and now computer selection. Have a great day everyone.

I have a Giotto, I purchased it at the time because the price I paid was about the same as other budget computers bit the deal came with the sync cable and 3 buttons. I've found it easy to use, and easy to read.

Some notes one computer in practice. Most diving I've done on it was 10 dives in 3 days. 2/3/2/3 all below 20msw on nitrox day off to change islands and 4 dives over 2 days on air.

I think my air consumption is slightly better than average for AOW rec diver. On nitrox i havent really had any issues with NDL on repetitive dives but I haven't dived 4-5 times a day on it. Now air to 27msw+ I've had issues. I suspect the recalulatirec rate of the NDL as you change depth is very slow. I've hit deco twice during ascent. Both times I was in about 24msw after being to 30msw earlier in the dive. I would see ~3-5mins remaining and signal to start working our way up slowly keeping as eye in my computer both times it has jumped from 3mins ndl to 3min mandatory stop between glances. First time this happened was first dive if the day(second day of diving), 2nd time we had planned a short dive due to max depth and short surfaces interval. It is for this reason I'm considering replacing my Giotto.

It is a fine computer for an OW diver doing 2 dives a day with occasional nitrox diving but fir heavier use I would look elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom