Basic question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfsdvm

New
Reaction score
quick ? : My wife & I took the PADI open water course/certification almost 2 years ago.
We are now planning a cruise in the western carribean with a few diving opportunities.
? 1: any refresher needed prior to showing up for the actual dives?
? 2: a couple of the dives are listed as two tank dives....is additional training/certification
needed for more than one tank?....we only used one during all the course dives.
Sorry for elementary questions....couldn't find answers on searching.
Thanks in advance.

1: Depends on the operator. Maybe; one year is often used as a break point. Have you dived since your class? If so, show your log book. If not, yes, do a refresher for your own good!
2: no

Please don't take any of this the wrong way. If your asking if you need a refresher course and it has been two years, you need a refresher. The two tank dives means you will take two, one tank dives. No additional certification needed. Really, take a refresher you will have more fun on your dives if your comfortable in the water.

No legal requirement for a refresher but HIGHLY recommended. A couple hours in a pool will make your actual dives much more rewarding.

Two tank dive refers to doing 2, single tank dives.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1----YES, if not the whole course over again???............2--- doing number 1 should take care of 2........

You might consider doing more than just a refresher. If it were me, I'd try to do the following:

1 - Do the refresher
2 - Do some easy local diving to practice your skills
3 - Take a Peak Performance Buoyancy class to hone those all-important buoyancy skills (help you stay off the coral in the Caribbean!!)
4 - Get certified in Nitrox

Even a good refresher is no substitute for using your skills regularly. Getting in the water before you're on vacation will help you enjoy your vacation more, you'll be actually enjoying your diving rather than floundering about!

Dive shops that are focused on the business of catering to cruise ship passengers treat every dive charter as if it were a "refresher" type dive.

(Read between the lines on diversteve's quote from Barefoot Divers)

At the Cruise Port Island Dive Shop: There will not be actual instruction, per-se, but they will observe the gear rigging (likely offering assistance or doing it for you) and be very good about dive briefings and verbal instructions as they move you into the water. They take cruise ship passengers to the same spots repeatedly, so they have this process well honed and likely have large permanently drawn dive-site maps.

Dive sites selected will be selected with similar criteria, you will not be exposed to environments that have a lot of challenges.

As with any dive operation in paradise- after you get into the water, you must understand that the DM becomes a "follow-me" tour guide. He is absolutely and in no way acting as an "instructor". He may indeed take action to save your life, but he'll have to see your need as he is tending to X other divers and hopefully trying to point out things like rock and sand.

+1 to MaxE as above.

You may want to ask... Many of the dive operators that work with the cruises will also provide a private DM for an extra charge. Even if you do the refresher (and you should), you may want to consider the option. I'm an instructor and sometimes hire the Private DM. You get to go at your own pace. They take great care of you and you often see lots of little stuff that you miss with the larger group. Also really nice if you are taking any photos or video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom