Basic questions on HOG regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phishie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry if these sound like dumb questions. I'm a fairly new diver (certed a year+3 months, 30+ dives) and I am finally buying my own gear. I was originally looking for used regs/octo on craigslist/ebay but based on the price/reviews the HOG looks like what I think I want to buy new instead. But I have a few questions I haven't been able to figure out yet. I just purchased a bp with HOG32 wing and was thinking of getting HOG regs with a longhose and bungee'd secondary. (Figure I should start off right)

1) HOG Cold water vs warm. The cold water gear is about $20 more per piece. The cold water gear obviously is good for cold water and avoiding freezing. Does that mean if you dive in warm waters with it, there's any difference in performance? This is mostly just a curiosity question since I only dive with a wetsuit and will probably get warm water ones. I think 55F still counts as 'warm' :)

2) The HOG D1 first stage on diverssupply that I see says it is DIN ready. But being a recreational diver renting tasks I think I'd rather just stick with a normal A yoke. Do I need some sort of adapter or does it come with what I would need to hook up with the more common connection?

3) I am unlikely to get cert'd to the point that I can service my own regulators anytime soon. I live in Germantown, MD and none of my local stores advertise that they service Edge gear that I am aware of. So how would I get them serviced?

4) It's called a Technical second stage regulator. Is there anything on that I should be aware of that would make it unsuitable for a normal recreational diver?

5) Am I forgetting something or making any other dumb newbie mistakes that you can see? :) I was thinking of getting:
HOG D1 Regulator Set - High Performance Technical HOG Regulators - HOG Regulator Set
HOG Balanced Second Stage Regulator
with a 5' MiFlex hose and a 22 inch MiFlex hose.
A normal High Pressure inflator hose (not sure what length)
And some sort of pressure gauge that I haven't done the research yet to figure out what I need.

I think other than a tank that should be everything gas-related for a single tank recreational diver?

You can always send your regs to an Authorized Repair center like us :wink: We are one of the few that is already an Authorized Repair Center and have the parts for the Hog Regs.

The performance will be the same on the cold first stage vs. the regular one. The Cold one is sealed. I always like sealed first stages as it keeps the crud out alot better :wink:

This reg ONLY comes in DIN and you can just pair it with an din adapter if you need Yoke.

This is a really great reg at an unbelievable price. Its too bad you didn't buy any at the Black Friday Prices that were out a last week :wink:

XS Scuba DIN to Yoke Adapter - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

What you can do with us is buy the reg, then go back and use your Loyalty points to purchase the adapter.

Hope this helps

I got a whole bunch of loyalty points now:D. Can't wait for both of my new HOG coldwater setups to get here. Got the word Mike, but I've got hoses here pining for some place to get hooked up to!

The EDGE Epic package is alsoa great choice for a recreational diver.

I went with the HOG regs from diverightinscuba.com

Got them earlier this week and finished putting them together last night. Can't wait to get them wet :) They're certainly pretty enough to have a pig on them!

I was surprised to see there was no documentation, manual, or any other paper work with them though.

If you run into any questions about them post em here and I'm sure they'll get answered. I got mine a few days ago but been kinda busy. Gonna try and get them set up this week. If I run into anything I'll post it as well. Being a reg tech for another manufacturer and a tech (beginning) diver I qualify for the class to service my own, just need to wait until there's one fairly close to me. I know how to adjust the basics now and have the tools.

I went with the HOG regs from diverightinscuba.com

Got them earlier this week and finished putting them together last night. Can't wait to get them wet :) They're certainly pretty enough to have a pig on them!

I was surprised to see there was no documentation, manual, or any other paper work with them though.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4913008-post2.html

the final drafts o the manuals are getting approved by the OEM, it's a ISO thing.

Any questions please ask!

I'm happy to say I've finally gotten my gear all together and hooked up and finally got some air into it tonight. I'll be getting it wet this weekend in the pool to work out my weighting. Yay! (pics included just because)

I have a question about one of the second stages though. It seems to continually be hissing air slightly. If I fiddle with the adjustment knob on the side to turn it down, I can get it to mostly stop but if I touch the knob at all, or purge, it will start again. Is this normal because it's out of the water?

One of them does it a fair bit (the one that's on my long hose currently) and the other to a much less extent. If I have the knob turned all the way down, the secondary barely does it at all but again, if I turn it back up, it does.

I have the venturi lever on both turned all the way to minus.

It could be a IP creep from the first stage, I doubt that, most likely it is simply not "tuned" to the first stage. When you get a reg with the first and second stage already connected they are tuned together to match, obviously the HOG is not as they are sold separate. It is a simple adjustment, easier using a inline tool but still easy with just a adjustable wrench and screwdriver/hex key. A quick trip or call to the shop tat sold them or me on Monday and you will be in business!

I am very interested in getting a couple of these regs, if for no reason other than the price is very good. Do you have a WOB on the D1 cold yet? a breathing chart would be awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom