basic tripod recommendation for UW macro: TG5 on tray with 2 lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

I’d like to ask for your opinions on a (basic) tripod setup for macro video.

I’m getting good results with a TG5 and two video lights - the setup is a tray (SRP), two loc-line/ flexarm arms for the lights on either sides of the tray. I’ll probably use the setup for a little gopro macro stuff as well.

So it's relatively light setup - but I do need a tripod.

I’ve been looking into the options, and i'm a little bit confused, especially since I can’t actually try the stuff first (joys of working in remote areas of South East Asia). - I’m looking at what I can buy online (lazada, tokopedia…)

I’m tempted by a Joby GorillaPod - 1K or 3K - if the one 1K could cut it it would be great as it comes with a ballhead

The 3K is twice as expensive with the ballhead - just not sure how practical this is, a ballhead with a tray setup?

Another thing that i could get is this guy here - roughly the same price:
Underwater tripod
and I can get it brought over from Europe by family if I move quickly enough.

What makes more sense with a tray + lights setup? Is the ballhead important or would the Joby allow for enough practical angles?
I can't find pictures of TG5 tripod setups with lights, and can't experiment before buying unfortunately.

My budget is less than 100USD, ideally in the 50USD zone

Thanks in advance for your help
b

Back
Top Bottom