Suggestion Batteries deserve to have a home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
kr2y5

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear site overlords: batteries have been enhancing our dive experience for decades. I say, let's give them a separate sub-forum under Equipment.

I'd rather start a discussion of Ratio Deco, it would over sooner and fewer dangerous things would offered as "best practices" :) Tobin

Well, come to think of it, batteries do qualify as life support equipment... :wink: ...but ok, I hope you can share your thoughts over a PM (incoming).

Well, come to think of it, batteries do qualify as life support equipment... :wink: ...but ok, I hope you can share your thoughts over a PM (incoming).
I can't believe what a selfish person you're being. You come up with such a great idea then want to keep it under wraps in a private message. You are what's wrong with ScubaBoard.

I fully understand the desire to DIY battery packs. I also know enough to be frightened by the concept. There is a huge amount of incorrect,misapplied, and down right dangerous info about batteries floating around on the internet. Add to that the genuine "crap" one can buy on Ebay that will *never* perform as claimed and you have a recipe for people getting hurt.

For example if one looks at the world of RC cars and RC airplanes you will find all sorts of alchemy about batteries. Some might even work *FOR THE APPLICATION* but be 180 degrees from what other applications warrant. RC apps typically want very high currents for minutes vs diving apps that require lower draws for hours. Following the template used for an RC pack can sacrifice cell life and safety in a diving app.

In addition the current Li-Ion cells are no joke, get it wrong and you end up "Venting with Flame" When you consider major electronics brands sometimes have "dynamic events" and have have to recall batteries the chances that a DIYer using cells of unknown provenance, assembled with other than "best practices' and recharged with a charger of unknown specifications scares me.

I'd really caution people to stick to battery packs that are sold as a system with some sort of Battery Management Circuit and matched charger.

The stored energy in a can light battery or suit heater pack is not trivial particularly if released in a short period of time.

Sorry to sound paranoid but I have learned to respect large Li-Ion packs. DSS designs and builds packs that have up to 180 18650 cells and approach 2 KwHrs of capacity. The R&D path was long, expensive and occasionally punctuated with moments of high drama.

Be careful.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom