Batteries for YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed the Inon D200 strobe makes it a point to only use eneloop batteries. I have been using Powerex or Imedeon batteries in my old strobe/camera. The Powerex/Imedeon's have worked great so I would like to use either ones in the YSD1. I haven't seen a similar Inon type warning to only use eneloops. Any suggestions on which ones I should use.

Can you provide background on who is making these recommendations? There are lots of old wives tales out there. It makes sense to base your decision on science.

Older technology (pre eneloop) rechargeables had limited shelf life. This led to many "dead" battery surprises if they were not charged just before use.

Eneloops have a long shelf life, but do no necessarily have the same capacity. I have some old 2700mah batteries that hold more charge than my new eneloops, but lose it much quicker if left on the shelf for a few weeks or longer.

When eneloops where introduced many people blindly recommended them ( but forgot to include that this was mainly due to their superior shelf life and not due to their energy capacity).

Here are the number of shots I get with these different types of batteries based on setting the strobe on "FULL" power (S&S YS-110):

Amazon.com: Ansmann 5035092 AA of 2850mAh Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack): Electronics

310 Shots

Amazon.com: Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries-4-Pack: Electronics

350 Shots

Amazon.com: Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries with holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack: Camera & Photo

390 Shots

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000: Home & Kitchen

350 Shots (these are the batteries that were included with the charger. They don't seem to be available by themselves)

Amazon.com: Energizer AA Rechargeable NiMH Battery Retail Pack, 2450mAh - 4 Pack: Electronics

252 Shots (I don't use them with strobes anymore)

I have "conditioned" and charged all of the batteries using the La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000

I have the Amazon.com: Sanyo New Version Sanyo XX Eneloop 2500 mAh Low Discharge AA Batteries: Electronics but I haven't tested them yet.

So far, the Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries seem to give the most shots. The Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries come second.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

Since I don't normally use the strobes (YS-D1) on full power in practice, I am getting a LOT more shots from the better batteries. I am getting over 800 shots.

Can you provide background on who is making these recommendations? There are lots of old wives tales out there. It makes sense to base your decision on science.

Older technology (pre eneloop) rechargeables had limited shelf life. This led to many "dead" battery surprises if they were not charged just before use.

Eneloops have a long shelf life, but do no necessarily have the same capacity. I have some old 2700mah batteries that hold more charge than my new eneloops, but lose it much quicker if left on the shelf for a few weeks or longer.

When eneloops where introduced many people blindly recommended them ( but forgot to include that this was mainly due to their superior shelf life and not due to their energy capacity).

I've seen the Inon recommendation on several vendor sites:

IMPORTANT BATTERY NOTE:

Type 3 strobes from Inon should only be powered with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Other rechargeable battery types will create excessive heat and may damage the strobe. The Sanyo Eneloop batteries are compatible with the Olympus AA Battery Charger. This Olympus battery charger has proven to be the most reliable travel charger we have tested. It is bundled with NiMh batteries, but do not use these batteries with Inon type 3 strobes. SKU: in-d2000

Inon D-2000 S-TTL Underwater Strobe

I've seen the Inon recommendation on several vendor sites:

IMPORTANT BATTERY NOTE:

Type 3 strobes from Inon should only be powered with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Other rechargeable battery types will create excessive heat and may damage the strobe. The Sanyo Eneloop batteries are compatible with the Olympus AA Battery Charger. This Olympus battery charger has proven to be the most reliable travel charger we have tested. It is bundled with NiMh batteries, but do not use these batteries with Inon type 3 strobes. SKU: in-d2000

Inon D-2000 S-TTL Underwater Strobe

ah - very interesting - a vendor recommending another a product! that they also sell! who would have thought that would happen? A quick check of the manufacturer site reveals no bias or recommendation... INON D-2000 Strobe [Spec] lists at least 10 different batteries.

Giffenk, I see what you mean, but the Eneloop recommendation is actually also written in the Inon user manual. From memory I think it was for type 3 strobes, the type 4 also takes other batteries (but I think they still recommend the Eneloops).

Nope, not in the manual either. I believe this is just another case of urban folklore that gets repeated often enough (or too often?) that it becomes defacto truth. That is why I always like to check he original source myself.

The D2000 manual does not refer to any specific brand of battery, but does refer to 5 different battery technologies when listing recharge cycle times and flash capacity.

Note that I am not knocking eneloops. I currently use them. But only because they were easier to obtain than lenmar's (my prior set). Both brands have worked great for me, although it is still early days with the eneloops.

I'll check again but I'm pretty sure I read this in the manual for my S2000. Don't know about D2000 or Z240.
As you say so many things get repeated without anyone actually knowing where it came from, it's hard to keep track of what is true or not.

I have a brand new Z240 type 4 and in the manual it clearly says Eneloop type (but lists at least 4 available low internal discharge batteries). Perhaps your D2000 was built before the low internal discharge batteries became available. For what it is worth, I have tested a lot of these types of batteries extensively and in my hands at least the current champ (see an article Batteries put to the test - best batteries for your underwater strobes|Underwater Photography Guide) is the Eneloop 2500. These were tested in a computer controlled test system that used the current measured during charging of both Inon and S&S strobes (could get them apart but not back together; the things we do for science). If you are shooting at relatively high power and relatively fast, I believe that you will get more strobe flashes with a 2100 mAh eneloop than with a 2700 mAh "standard" NiMH battery.

Bill

good info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom