batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snippys

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im looking for good batteries for my intova ISS 4000. anyone have any suggestions?

I'm using the lithium batteries these days. I find that the extra cost seems to be worth it. Rechargeable batteries will pay in the long run, but the lithium have me spoiled and apparently somewhat lazy...

Sanyo Eneloops are by far the best batteries you can use. Do a search on Eneloops and you will find there aren't many others that can compare. Also, you should consider a good charger. not just the little chargers that come with the batteries. The smart chargers make a big difference in battery life and when matching batteries with different measured capacities.

There is a good article on the underwater photography guide (bluewater photo) that confirms my approach
NiMh high capacity batteries combined with a good fast charger are the best
I use annsmann 2850 mah with their fan cooled charger and it works great
Eneloop are better suited to the camera itself than the strobe

Basically you have to decide between low-self-discharge (LSD) batteries and high-capacity batteries. Eneloops are LSD batteries, their capacity is only around 2000 mAh, but they will hold that charge for years. Regular NiMH batteries come at much higher capacities, but they will lose up to 30% of their charge in the first 24 hours, might be down to 50% after a week and will be completely dead within a few months. In other words, if you don't use up your high-capacity non-LSD batteries right after being charged up, they pretty much lose their capacity advantage over LSD batteries.

I use eneloops. I had too many failures with various brands of high rate NimH, including the Powerex ones. I get at least two and usually three 45 minute to 1 hour dives on a charge and my fan cooled fast charger cranks them up in 15 minutes. I've been using the current set for over a year, which is typical. I periodically test them with a load charger to make sure they don't fail just when I've lined up a once in a lifetime shot.
I read an ad on one of the battery e-tailers (Battery Junction, I think) for new hybrid eneloops. They're low self discharge and high output. I intend to try them.

Back
Top Bottom