Battery for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at getting an S95, and will want a spare battery or two.

The Canon NB 6L battery is 1000mAh

Non- Canon cheaper alternatives are less than that, for example Pearstone NB 6L is 715mAh.

Does this difference matter much. Will I get as many shots per charge with a battery than is lower in mAh?

I don't want to end up with a battery that doesn't last through the dive

I am looking at getting an S95, and will want a spare battery or two.

The Canon NB 6L battery is 1000mAh

Non- Canon cheaper alternatives are less than that, for example Pearstone NB 6L is 715mAh.

Does this difference matter much. Will I get as many shots per charge with a battery than is lower in mAh?

I don't want to end up with a battery that doesn't last through the dive

No, of course not, a lower mah battery will not last as long as a higher mah battery, all things being equal. In fact, it would last about 75% as long comparing a 750mah battery to a 1,000 mah battery.

Since the S series has a marginal battery life as it is, no, get at least the OEM 1,000 mah battery. I have had good luck with the Wasabi and some other brand I cannot recall at the moment lasting longer and of course were rated at a higher mah.

N

Thanks for the info guys. I have to admit to being pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical concepts like mAh, volts etc. But I sort of guessed that there would be an issue with the lower mAh rated batteries, hence the question. I am a pretty heavy user of battery power when underwater (the camera is pretty much on from start to finish) and am used to a Canon A640 which takes 4 x AA batteries and a single charge would easily get me through 3 dives in a day. I'm guessing I may have to swap batteries after each dive with the S95 (?) which is why I am thinking of getting two spares.

Thanks for the tip on the Wasabi batteries, looks like that may be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom