My nastygram to SRI over the Teric Battery Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something I find interesting is that the Peregrine does not appear to have similar issues. Mine certain hasn't and I've not read of any other similar issues with the Peregrine. Something to do with the difference in form factor of the Teric vs. the Peregrine perhaps?
Same with my Perdix AI. I think you are spot on about the form factor. I recognize that folks want the convenience of a smaller computer and the eco-friendliness of a charger. But when I'm on a trip I want the ability to dive without electronic frustration. AA batteries FTW! :)

Interesting to read all these issues. I bought my Teric in 2020 and have had the same issues as everyone else (came up about 18 months after first using it), but unfortunately never did anything about it, since I go on about 2 dive trips a year. I pretty much need to recharge after every day of diving while on trips, and once a month when I'm home to keep it from draining completely. I store it with the unit off. My question is, whether it's worth it to send it in for $175 plus shipping, just to have it lose capacity again after two years? Will the battery keep degrading to where it's not useful anymore? I realize that I haven't been on a trip where it's impossible to charge for a week or so yet, but there is no way my Teric would make it through more than 5-6 dives without a recharge now. And it's such a great computer otherwise......

Same with my Perdix AI. I think you are spot on about the form factor. I recognize that folks want the convenience of a smaller computer and the eco-friendliness of a charger. But when I'm on a trip I want the ability to dive without electronic frustration. AA batteries FTW! :)

I use eneloop batteries (low self-discharge NiCd rechargeable batteries) in my non-AI Perdix. Best of both worlds: long-enough life, lower waste and in a pinch I can shove anything that fits in the hole in it and keep diving.

I would need a *compelling* feature to give that up, and as sexy as the Teric looks… I’m perfectly OK with a box-shaped dive computer.

There are always lemons. I bought a top-rated chainsaw from a top-rated company and it's been nothing but trouble.

A friend had a Teric for years, never had any trouble with it. I bought it used from her. The battery life if wonderful, no problems at all. I did a liveaboard in Indonesia, lots of diving, had to charge the Teric every 3-4 days on the cruise. Everyone is our group has a Teric, no issues.

I wonder what's going on with some of the computers?

My Teric has also worked great. No battery issues. I keep the compass and AI turned off when in storage and only charge it when it gets below 25%. It's actually for sale now as I am using my old Perdix as a backup.

I use eneloop batteries (low self-discharge NiCd rechargeable batteries) in my non-AI Perdix. Best of both worlds: long-enough life, lower waste and in a pinch I can shove anything that fits in the hole in it and keep diving.
Same, though I use the rechargeable Lithiums. When one gets low, I swap it for a fresh one, drop the old one on the charger, and put it with the charged backups when complete. I'll take a couple charged ones along on a trip, but for a day of local diving just check before hand.

No issues with the size of the Perdix. I have a Garmin as backup on my other wrist. Only time I've ever had the size of the Perdix be an issue is if I donned my BC starting with the wrong hand. Easy enough to fix. If I start with the Perdix hand, no issues.

I’ll stay with my two Perdix AI, Petrel 3 on my CCR, and Energizer Ultimate batteries. I don’t have issues with my Apple Watch, but after the Shearwater issues, I wouldn’t even want to touch a Nerd.

Back
Top Bottom