Battery Life on C-740

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickB

Reaction score
I just recieved my C-740 and a PT-018 housing and am going to use them week after next on a Nekton cruise. I also just purchased two sets of PowerEX 2000mah batteries, and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of battery life I can expect while using the camera underwater. I plan to have the monitor on (of course) and the flash setup to fire with every picture, but not the constant AF.

I usually get about 2.5 hours of use from my sets of PowerEx 2000mah's. On a dive trip that's 2 full dives, usually close to an hour, with monitor left on and using the internal flash to trigger my strobe. And I still have plenty of power for downloading through the camera. I could probably go a 3rd dive but why chance it. I don't want to open my housing on a boat between dives. Locally that 2.5 hrs can be 2 really long dives or 3 'normal' ones. Since I'm back on shore after every dive I don't mind pushing it.

Thanks, Dee. That's exactly the information I was looking for.

I have a C-730 Ultra for work and I think it's the best Camera around for the price. I'm considering getting a C-740 for my personal use. When I went to the OLY Website I saw the UW Housing available and now I want it even more.

RickB, Please post your results and some pics with your setup I'd like to see what they turn out like.

Wildbill:cop_2:

My setup is of course the C740 with the Olympus C18 housing. I do not use an external strobe just the cameras internal flash. I'm quite satisfied with the results. I replaced an Olympus 2040 with an Ikelite housing with this setup. I will say that the 2040 probably took better pictures in low light situations because of its low f stop lens, but of course the C740 has the 10X optical zoom, which is the main reason I got it.

By the way the picture of the cleaner shrimp won the Nekton Rorqual photo contest for our week.

Thanks RickB,
I'm definetly getting the C740. I was at Circuit City over the weekend and they have them for $399 and you get a 64MB XD card free. (in addition to the 16MB one that comes with it).

The wife gave me the OK to get it this week. YaHOOO!!!! :bounce:

Work a little OT later on and get the Housing and I'll be all set.

Wildbill, you should check out www.newegg.com. They had the C740 for $339 plus you get a 128meg card for free. I have bought numerous items from this site over the years with absolutly no probelms. They have great shipping rates too, plus no sales tax. I also bought the housing from them.

Even better: www.butterflyphoto.com sells the C740 for $265 and you can get 128 MB for $47.50 and the PT-018 for $149 at newegg.com.

Personally I would go for at least 256 MB though. These SHQ pics are using up a lot of memory. BTW note that the PT-018 already includes a neutral buoyancy weight, so there is no need to buy one seperately for $27 or so.

The other thing you will need is an extra set of batteries.

Hey thanks for the info guys I checked out newegg already it looks like a great site.

I take it that these sites are much like Leisure Pro...they are a gray market. I saw on the newegg site that they do not do refunds only exchanges for identical products.

I don't see this being a problem I have used an OLY camera at work and it is a great product but it does make you think about their customer service. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these sites?

I bought my 5050 from Newegg and it can with a full Oly warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom