Battery Replacement on VT Pro AI computer, new gasket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

idocsteve

Ok the battery is dead on my Oceanic VT Pro AI wrist computer. I popped off the battery cover, removed the cap and Oring. The Home Depot is out of CR-2450N's and I forgot to stop at Ace Hardware this morning. I'm surprised those guys are still in business with Home Depot right next door but I digress.

Oceanic recommends replacing the O ring with a new one whenever the battery is replaced. I figure it's just a way to squeeze a few bucks out of their customers. The existing Oring seems just fine to me.

Comments appreciated

Not that the replacement kit is all that expensive but I gotta go order one since my LDS doesnt stock it, wait for it in the mail, throw out what is probably a perfectly good Oring..etc.

You get the idea

Check and relube and put it back in. I am however going to replace the o-ring in my VEO200 next time on battery #3. I don't want to get too frugal for my own good. If the o-ring has any irregularities you can feel or see then replace it.

Bob
-------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

good luck. I will not change veo- suunto style because they are prone to leaking!. Send it to oceanic for a battery swap- $35 and they will do a pressure test and current draw. its up to you, its your electronics, but I know I wont trust it without a pressure test.

Ok the battery is dead on my Oceanic VT Pro AI wrist computer. I popped off the battery cover, removed the cap and Oring. The Home Depot is out of CR-2450N's and I forgot to stop at Ace Hardware this morning. I'm surprised those guys are still in business with Home Depot right next door but I digress.

Oceanic recommends replacing the O ring with a new one whenever the battery is replaced. I figure it's just a way to squeeze a few bucks out of their customers. The existing Oring seems just fine to me.

Comments appreciated

Not that the replacement kit is all that expensive but I gotta go order one since my LDS doesnt stock it, wait for it in the mail, throw out what is probably a perfectly good Oring..etc.

You get the idea

I buy the kits on Ebay but I've also changed the battery without the O ring and got away with it. If you need to dive before the new Oring arrives I'm sure you can reuse the old one. But I'd still change later it for peace of mind.

Adam

You can use the o-ring that is in it, just check it very well for any scratches or chunks missing and lube it up. There is a very handy trick to installing the back cover. Take your black locking ring and put your thumb through it. Use the same thumb to hold the clear battery cover. This way you can press the clear battery cover into place and check the outside to make sure the o-ring has set and is not bulging out anywhere. Without taking your thumb off keeping the pressure on you can slide the locking ring down. I hope that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom