Bauer Junior II max pressure adjustment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buz

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Bauer Junior II compressor that is preset at the factory at 3200 psi. I need the capability of about 3600 psi for my HP steel tanks. I called Bauer and they said to send it in and they could adjust it for $150. My question is , does anyone know how to do this and does it require special parts to do? I have not taken it apart yet. Was wanting to get some feedback here first.

I am using the compressor with a homemade nitrox stick and it works great.

Thanks!

If it is a triplex tower, I have reset many safetys. You will need two 13mm combo wrenches. One must have the open end ground down quite a bit to fit one side of the "lock" to break it loose for making the adjustment. I really don't want to "write a book" in explaning the adjustment unless you have the tools.

Craig

It is a fairly easy job. On the top of the P21 triplex filter, you need to remove the two allen head cap screws and take off the final pressure adjustment knob. Underneath that, there is a small grub screw with a locking nut on it. Undo the locking nut and adjust the grub screw, from memory, screwing it down more will increase the pressure. You can run the compressor to check your final pressure and make sure your adjustment amount is correct - it will need very little adjustment. When you are satisfied with your final pressure, fFit the adjustment knob assembly back on and replace the two cap screws and you are done.

My Oceanus was set from factory to 3300 psi and I now have it running at 4850 psi by doing this simple adjustment.

What happens when you want to fill an AL tank? You could easily walk away and over pressurize it to 3600 psi. Might be better to look for an adjustable shut off. That way you just turn the dial to your set pressure. Of course an air regulator could do the same thing. I leave my compressor set for 5,000 psi and just adjust the air regulator as needed.

Guys these a little sewing machine compreesors were not meant to be run to such a high Pressure your going to kill the thing. If you need a higher pressure sell off your junior and move up to a larger more capable system.

:shocked2:

DT

OK, I've bumped up the pressure without any issues.

Here is what "I" did.

<<Disclaimer: I'm just a dumba$$ on a forum, please don't take this as a how-to tutorial. If you choose to mess with you compressor and hurt yourself don't blame me.>>

First I removed the 2 10mm(wrench) nuts that are safety wired with the data plate. After removing the nuts, the adjuster knob assembly will come off. I used a 12mm SnapOn wrench on the lower part of the shaft(snug fit), then break loose the jamb nut with a 13mm wrench. I then turned the slotted grub screw "out" to increase the pressure. On my unit 1/4 turn= ~250 psi increase. I bumped mine up to 3800 psi. I verified the pressure and its right on.

I restamped the dataplate with the new pressure and safety wired the plate back on.

DT- The Bauer folks say the compressor is capable of 5000 psi. I have not had to adjust the O2 flow while filling a tank from 0 to 3800 psi. This tells me that the compressor is not struggling at all to meet this pressure. I do agree that a higher pressure will decrease the life of the unit but in my limited home use it will last a long time.

Peter C- Thats a good idea, I never stray far from the compressor while filling. Also all my tanks that I fill are HP steel.

Buz

Well what can I say, you just don't run those little sewing machine compressors that high it won't last long.

Cheers

DT:
Well what can I say, you just don't run those little sewing machine compressors that high it won't last long.

Cheers

What do you think is likely to happen? Compressors are very simple devices, mine has an oil pump and roller bearings on the crankshaft. Anything that breaks can be repaired. Using good quality synthetic oil and changing it regularly is a step in the right direction. A four stage compressor is balanced better than a three stage, I agree, but what types of problems could one expect to see by running their smaller Bauer compressor within the maximum pressures stated by the manufacturer.

I don't think all sewing machines are created equally.

All Bauers are designed to fill at 300bars or more, and 300bars tanks are commonly used in northern europe and germany. Bauers can also do different gases apart form air, just check. It's actually downgraded to fill 200 bars alu tanks. no sewing maching these units

Shil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom